Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 25, 2014, 06:43:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Those that live in forested areas  (Read 1835 times)
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« on: May 27, 2010, 10:12:13 AM »

I was wondering if one could get rough cut lumber from a saw mill. Something along the line of 8"x8"x30' and what the cost might be. (about)

Down here I can get an 8"x8"x24' for over three hundred dollars.  shocked  shocked  I thought that was a little steep.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 01:00:08 PM »

Was that $300 for it delivered and cut from their tree?
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 01:22:54 PM »

We don't have trees around here.

This quote was from a fencing company. They don't really stock them but they could get them.

Here is my figuring. I can get 4"x4"x8' post at less than $7.00 each. If I stick four of them end to end that is 32 feet long. If I do that so I have 8"x8"x32' I would use 16 post. that is roughly $112.00 against one 24 foot 8"x8" @ $330.00

I thought with fewer cuts the thing would be cheaper.  huh Guess I was wrong.

I can do four legs of my windmill with 64 post at $448.00 or (32 feet high) or do it with 4 post at $1320.00 and only be 24 feet tall. I need it at least 28 feet tall. Or I can hope the 4x4s are strong enough..... (any engineers out there?)

So I was wondering if I can go to a forested area and get rough cut straight from the mill a lot cheaper.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

Yappy
House Bee

"Your darnest Questions, get the best Advice"

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 02:44:21 PM »

You could use built-up system. ie: 4x4 in center +  2x6 on each side, separate each joint by 3ft.
you can use this for Posts only not beams!
... Rob
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 03:16:08 PM »

If they are for your windmill, price up some used power or telephone poles.  Here, I think they go for $3.00 a foot.  You can get those boogers that long.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 05:07:59 PM »

2x6 huh. I will have to check price differences on that one.

I was either going to try it with 4x4 as four legs or I was going to use 4x4s to build the legs to 8x8. Of course staggering all the joints so no two breaks are in the same place.  I know that would be stronger.

I was just wondering if the 4x4s spliced with 4x4s would be strong enough on a 32 foot tower, with eight foot windmill on top of that, in the winds we get here sometimes.

Jerry

Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 05:13:29 PM »

I pay 2.50 to 3.00 dollar's a foot It depends on if you want dougfir or spruce or ceder.

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 05:17:31 PM »

I pay 2.50 to 3.00 dollar's a foot It depends on if you want dougfir or spruce or ceder.

For utility poles or the 8x8?

Jerry

Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »

8x8 grin the poles I get for free from my friend at the power company the old one's they pull out.

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 05:22:30 PM »

And you can get these 8x8s any length you want?

It might just be worth it for me to grab my trailer and go up there to get them. Where is this place exactly so I can figure the miles.

Jerry

podius
New Bee

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 05:26:18 PM »

We don't have trees around here...

So I was wondering if I can go to a forested area and get rough cut straight from the mill a lot cheaper.

What you can do is go to a forester and see if you can get 4 40 ft trees or whatever length you need.  You don't need them square except for aesthetics. If you want them square, then get a log building book, it will explain the steps to getting a log square.

John VT
Spooner, WI(Northwest WI-up in the nose)
equipment---All medium 10 frame boxes, top entrance's, no foundation frames and mann lake pf 120's (7 hives)
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 05:29:23 PM »

8x8 square sounds a little bit of an odd size, have you compared it to the same length in 10X10 or 12X12? I've seen bigger than 6x6 around, but I couldn't tell you what's more common in the larger sizes, at those prices it would definitely be worth checking into larger dimensions; maybe even direct shipping too.
Looks like you might be onto a decent deal anyway.

be happy and make others happy.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 05:37:13 PM »

Not sure where I got the 8x8 size now. Maybe just in my head thinking twice the 4x4. But that one place did say they could get it 24 feet long for the three hundred plus price.

Jerry

Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 05:47:34 PM »

I went out and got a picture of this windmill the other day

These legs appear to be about 8x8 if compared to the 2x4 on the ladder. I did not measure anything.

Or 10x10 huh

Jerry

Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 05:54:10 PM »

I wonder if you would get a substantial savings to custom make 1/4" steel gussets with shorter cuts?

be happy and make others happy.
fish_stix
House Bee

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010, 01:04:20 PM »

Steel pipe comes in 21 foot sticks! A little welding and you have 32' or longer, posts. Much easier to install. If you're determined to use wood, look into buying some pilings or telephone poles the right length.
fermentedhiker
Field Bee

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 10:30:50 PM »

I go with utility poles or find someone with a bandsaw sawmill to mill them out special for you.  If you can provide the tree they would mill it out for you pretty reasonable.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2010, 04:28:26 PM »

I asked yesterday at a sawmill for prices down here.   25 cent a board foot if he cuts your wood.   50 cent a board foot if he cuts his wood.    I went ahead a asked for a 4" x 12" x 8' oak for a mantle over the fire place.  $16.00

Did you get your main beams yet?
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2010, 07:49:50 PM »

No I have not got them yet. I wonder what the cost of shipping to Zip code 79382 would cost for 30' beams 8"x8" or 10"x10" which ever they would come in?

I am guessing that is 50 cent  grin (he's a rapper right?)  per cut? So $60.00 per beam. $240.00 for four plus shipping.

Jerry

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next