Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 21, 2014, 05:33:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: walmart swarm  (Read 532 times)
riverrat
House Bee

« on: May 27, 2010, 07:19:32 AM »

i thought you all mite enjoy this one. I got a bee call for a swarm that had settled at a local walmart i got home about 9 that evening just getting dark when my son gave me the message i had to go to st Louis early in the morning so i headed out and went to get the swarm it was on a pallet of shelving almost to the top of the store. and a fair sized swarm I got the ladder and set a nuc box over the top of the bees and they started to crawl up into the box. while stand up there waiting on them to get into the box a walmart asset protection employee came with a fork lift and said i couldn't be standing on the top row of shelving because of store policy so he moved the pallet of shelving to the ground. it sure would have been nice if they had done this earlier but no one wanted to do it for fear of being stung but once i was up there without a veil hiving the bees they decided they might be safe. stick with me now heres the kicker. I climb down the ladder and he slowly lowered the pallet to the ground he has the headlights on on the fork lift so i told him he had better turn them off as bees at night are attracted to light. after i finished hiving the swarm. he was telling me that the night before a load of bees had pulled into the parking lot about 8:30 for the night he had to go and run off the trucker and tell him he cant stay there about 30 minutes after he had arrrived. it wasnt the beees the walmart store has a no truck parking policy. with that being said what do you bet i got a box full of queenless lost bees that got left behind when he left. oh well got 40 bucks in my pocket and some bees i can use to boost a weak swarm i picked up the night before. i will give them a few days to see if there might by a slim chance a queen
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 07:45:55 PM by riverrat » Logged

never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 08:00:40 AM »

Rat, ya just teasin' us with your stories without pics, albeit some pretty good stories. Here's hoping to see some pictures of your adventures in the near future, hint, hint!   Wink

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 09:53:33 AM »

i have gone by those bee trucks. i wonder if sometimes the hives are not well closed.  do they even close them?  maybe you got a good swarm out of them?

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
riverrat
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 07:55:45 PM »

Rat, ya just teasin' us with your stories without pics, albeit some pretty good stories. Here's hoping to see some pictures of your adventures in the near future, hint, hint!   Wink

...JP

I would have liked to had pics of that one it was late enough none of the family wanted to go and i forgot my camera
but i will try to post some pics of the next time i get stupid like today did you know it is illegal to hide a weapon on federal property  i was at the st louis arch with my daughter this afternoon they had airport type security to get into the arch no knifes guns or weapons so instead of walking all the way back to the truck to put my knife up i hid it in some mud behind a park bench when i retrieved  it and put it in my pocket federal officers was all over me and my daughter and they already knew what i put in my pocket they gave me the what to for and then  finally let me go but the officers said it was a major crime to hide a weapon of any kind on federal property i didnt get pics of that one either daughter didnt think the officers would appriciate that they wasnt in a joking mood Sad

never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next