Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 31, 2014, 01:11:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to add deep?  (Read 416 times)
greenbtree
Field Bee

« on: May 26, 2010, 09:28:11 AM »

Went to check on hives yesterday.  Queenright hive, some honey throughout 2nd broodbox and the one super.  Slapped another super on as clover is just coming in.  Checked the one deep split that we made on May 5th from that hive.  All the brood pretty much emerged including the 8 or so queen cells that they had made. (Hopefully they emerged, the cells everywhere had been torn down and the space recycled.)  Lots of angry off bees.  I'm thinking a virgin queen in there hopefully, right?  The deep was packed with capped honey, the frames are literally bulging.  The bees apparently got tired of sitting around twiddling their antenna waiting on the new queen.  So I put on a new (Some new foundation, some drawn comb) deep and a super.  Put new deep on bottom, honey packed deep on top, and super on top of that.  Figured honey usually goes on outside of brood and hopefully new queen will lay in deep on the bottom.  Did I do right? rolleyes

JC

"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"
riverrat
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 10:07:25 AM »

I would add a deep of foundtion to the top of 1st deep move a frame of brood up into the 2nd deep to bait bees up with ther is a laying queen. You could also remove a few frames of honey and extract and then replace them if it is honey bound to give the queen room to lay

never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 12:37:10 PM »

I would remove the super until the hive has more bees. There will be a decline in numbers for at least 4 weeks. A decline in foragers for 5 weeks or more. The super will be nothing but a place for vermin to hide.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next