Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 24, 2014, 07:29:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PRIVACY & SECURITY RISKS -- in digital copiers.  (Read 1332 times)
Cheryl
House Bee

top bar beekeeper

« on: May 12, 2010, 01:51:05 PM »

DID YOU KNOW that every digital copier made since 2002 has an internal hard drive that stores each image scanned?? These are almost never wiped clean before a used unit is sold or leased. Used machines can fall into the hands of anyone.

More people need to know about this (it's being ignored, denied and brushed off). Watch this 5min investigation documentary:
Copy Machines, a Security Risk?

Please pass this along - especially to those who work with sensitive information.

Peace,
Cheryl

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 03:46:19 PM »

All they would find on mine is but cracks and middle finger's Wink I will pass this on thank you.

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 05:33:44 PM »

Why do copiers need hard drives?

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
MrJeff
New Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 06:54:48 PM »

Same reason a record exists of every phone call you've ever made or received. Information is a commodity.
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 08:31:58 PM »

Yikes!  I don't know about the phone calls, but this is really bad.  Figures no one wants to pay for the ability to wipe the drives clean  rolleyes

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 10:40:50 PM »

Yikes!  I don't know about the phone calls, but this is really bad.  Figures no one wants to pay for the ability to wipe the drives clean  rolleyes

Hopefully Irwin wipes the glass clean.... grin

Good info to know though....

Rick
wd
Field Bee

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 11:37:42 PM »

Besides replacing the old with new, Is there really a way to wipe a hard drive clean, completely? I wonder how the Government do it?
Cheryl
House Bee

top bar beekeeper

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 02:26:36 AM »

Copiers have hard drives for a variety of reasons. Mostly because of the bells and whistles they add to a machine. Fancier machines are able to zip the originals through and scan them all at once before even beginning to print -- the copies are then printed from memory. Another feature is the "recovery" feature; say you start making copies but the paper jams -- the copier remembers what to print, and prints it after the jam is fixed - without having to rescan the original. Those are convenience features. Office people like convenience. Cheesy

As for completely erasing a hard drive -- even formatting leaves a data shadow. The only way to truly destroy the data is to physically destroy the drive - or the shiny disk "platter" inside the drive. (Most crooks won't take the time to look for data shadows, so 'scrubbing' a disk is usually enough. It's the easy-to-get data I'm worried about.)

Yes, I'm a tekkie...

~ Aristotle
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 02:48:14 AM »

I would think something like a flash drive in the copier, with a clear and forget program wouldn't be a $500 feature.

be happy and make others happy.
Cheryl
House Bee

top bar beekeeper

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 06:40:12 PM »

I know, huh! It SHOULDN'T be that much.... big problem there...

~ Aristotle
BoBn
House Bee

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 09:32:26 AM »

Many printers and photocopiers also put tracking information on each page.
http://w2.eff.org/Privacy/printers/docucolor/

"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one-half the world fools and the other half hypocrites."
--Thomas Jefferson
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 11:28:37 AM »

There is really no reason to wipe the hard drive clean, big brother has already seen the copy when you do it.
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 11:55:19 AM »

This is strange info indeed. My hubby who is an attorney representing Social Security Disability clients, has just been told by the Social Security Admin that he has to start scanning all the medical records into the main office. He has been faxing them over, but now has to start scanning.

If this is true, then he is scanning people's private info, social security numbers, etc. over the internet. Wouldn't the Social Security Administration know about this??
Cheryl
House Bee

top bar beekeeper

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 02:27:49 PM »

There is really no reason to wipe the hard drive clean, big brother has already seen the copy when you do it.

Fascinating, but this isn't about Big Brother at all. They tend to KEEP their secrets... This is about the Identity Thieves, and Fraudsters out there. Know who your enemy really is. People who are always looking over their shoulder for "some big entity watching them" are some of the easiest people to toy with.

Annette, I think the $$ bottom line is what matters most -- if it saves them time/money, that's what they'll do... Consequences are secondary -- they'll form another committee to handle that.

~ Aristotle
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next