On monday I checked my hives. In one hive I found all capped drone cells. I looked ,and looked for a queen, but did not find her. Yesterday I removed the foundations ,and brushed all the bees off, then placed them (foundation with capped drone cells) in a second deep on top of the oringinal. I place a queen excluder between the two deeps. My thought is that this will make it much easier to find the queen in the first deep if she is there. I do have a new queen on the way.
There is a queen cell on one of the foundations. ( still in bottom deep) I have been watching it for about two weeks. It's been empty the whole time. Did I do the right thing.