Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 26, 2014, 04:40:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First swarm by myself  (Read 654 times)
Shawn
Queen Bee

« on: May 20, 2010, 09:36:27 PM »

Got a call from a fellow officer saying there was a "pool of bees" in teh middle of the street. He also said the "hive" was up in a tree. Being so excited they called I got the boxes, suit and gloves and took off. Next time I wont forget my hat, to keep the mesh of the face, a ladder, and a brush. Ayway I got there and saw a small swarm on the ground. They were flying everywhere and landing back on the ground. I put teh hive box next to them and away they went. The bad part was every time a car went by it spooked them all and up in the air they go. I went to scout out the "hive" and found a small cluster of bees in the tree. I cut the limb off, shook it over the open hive body, and closed it up. It took them awhile to all go in but all in all I was back home in an hour.

I noticed quite a few bees kept clustering back on the pavement. I got down and started digging through them to see what they wanted. I found a dead bee but it did not look like a queen. It had been hit/ran over so it is unknown. I threw the dead bee in the hive, waited a few more minutes and took off. Ill have to make some syrup tomorrow and feed them, hoping the other hoves wont bother them. The hive is shut up to the smallest entrance reducer I have so hopefully it will work. Soory no pictures but I just ran out not thinking. 
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 11:42:26 PM »

exciting, isn't it  grin

you'll get a system.  at this time of the year i try to keep stuff in the car if i'm out.  9 time out of 10, i get calls after i left the house or while i'm doing another swarm.  it pays to be prepared.  do feed them right away.  swarms are hungry and feeding helps keep them where you put them.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
D Coates
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 01:00:24 PM »

Kathyp is dead on.  I carry my "bee box" in the back of my car.  It's a homemade 5 frame deep nuc with and shoulder strap that has all of my beekeeping supplies, including some syrup.  I also carry a 5 frame deep nuc with undrawn frames.  I've never been lucky enough to get two swarm calls on the same day to deplete the supplies in my car but if I do I've got a plastic bag to put all of my supplies in and use my beebox as a nuc as well.

Of the 2 swarms calls I've gotten this year I was the first there and got them both because I had my supplies with me.

Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next