Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 19, 2014, 12:56:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reoccuring Itch (Old Stings)  (Read 826 times)
Tucker1
House Bee

"The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....

« on: May 17, 2010, 10:59:28 AM »

Very early in the spring of this year, I got about 4-5 strings on my left wrist. After a day or two, the swelling went down and I thought nothing about it.  In fact, the stings themselves, weren't particularly bad and I gave no real special notice to them.  They were all located in an area of about 1 1/2".

Twice since then, I have very short periods of reoccurring itch in that same area, with small little welts where the original strings took place. The welts appear for about 3-6 hours and then eventually go away. It's been several month since the original stings.  I've never had this problem before.

Has anyone else ?  Why would these strings suddenly itch months later.  It's not a real problem, but it sure seems strange.

Regards,
Tucker1

He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.
melliphile
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 09:22:31 PM »

Have you been stung since? Would you consider the itch minor?  Sometimes a beekeeper can develop an allergy to bee protein. This doesn't sound like a full blown allergy, but definitely curious.

"Never discourage anyone who continually makes progress, no matter how slow." -Plato
Paynesgrey
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 11:34:24 PM »

We've encountered that with other allergens & particles.  Drs explained that the in the course of reacting to the "invader" particles, the body sometimes manages to encapsulate or wall off very small amounts of the toxins/allergens. Later for whatever reason, using fat stores in that area, exertion (breaking down muscle & other fiber) normal growth & repair, the toxins or particles are re-exposed and if it is an allergen, the histamine reaction of course reoccurs.

That happens to me anything with like a flea or mosquito (I guess it is that blood thinner they use) huh. They seem to totally heal up, but then suddenly reappear almost as badly as they started Sad Not a new bite, the same old one.  Bee stings thankfully don't seem to do that, or I do not think I would consider working with bees Smiley Dr's solution is treat the "new" re-exposure with Benadryl or whatever, etc, just like the original contamination.

It can take a really long time for the particles to finally all be absorbed/dealt with. Fiberglass is one a good example.
Tucker1
House Bee

"The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 05:43:31 PM »

Thanks for the great replies. The problem seems to have gone away. I thought is was very strange.  My reactions to bee stings have only gotten better.  I'm less sensitive by far than I was when I first started. I'm still amazed at how the girls can target one small area and gang together. What amazing creatures.

Regards,
Tucker1

He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next