Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 28, 2014, 07:35:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: singing / chirping bees  (Read 1610 times)
wd
Field Bee

« on: May 14, 2010, 02:19:13 PM »

Has anyone heard honey bees sound as though they are singing or chirping? If so, what does this mean? Do they have other verbal  sounding communication or is it all the for the same purpose? I thought I read a post that mentioned it meant a queenless hive. At the time of this singing, I was unable to find one yet there was evidence a queen been active recently. This one hive did have some queen cells, I left two capped cells to let them sort it out, and they did. Every colony I have are currently queen right.

I still wonder what the singing was about?

lotsobees
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 02:20:11 PM »

Queens chirp, even from within their cells at each other. Smiley It's an intriguing sound.

--John Schwartz
Psalm 119 - "How sweet are Your words to my taste, Sweeter than honey to my mouth!"
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 02:24:31 PM »

Very cool!

My queenless hive sounded more like a roar. Very obviously not happy.

The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
lotsobees
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 02:28:14 PM »

Ah, that sounds more like the warble that bees do sometimes. An article on that here: http://is.gd/c95i1

--John Schwartz
Psalm 119 - "How sweet are Your words to my taste, Sweeter than honey to my mouth!"
wd
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 02:58:03 PM »

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 05:00:18 PM by wd » Logged
DM
New Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 07:17:18 PM »

I had a hive swarm and return back to the same hive. I herd chirpping and thought a tree frog was under the hive. After a hive inspection I found two empty queen cells, one on the bottom of a frame and the other on the bottom side off the bottom deep

In a Nova movie about honey bees, they talk about the queen chirpping when they are fighting.

Not sure about it all, but if I hear that sound again I will have some idea of the sound coming from the bee's.

Dennis
troutstalker2
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »

I have heard newly emerged queens piping, a high pitched rhythmic kind of thing. I think they are itching for a fight. Letting the other queen or queens know were she is.

David
wd
Field Bee

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 02:25:53 PM »

hmm, this seems difficult to describe, I've been searching for audio sounds and videos of something, I haven't found a anything. It's not a queen piping, hissing, humming and so on. It sounded more like the bees in the hive were chirping an organized, orchestrated song, I was on my second pass through the frames, had heard it, paying no attention to it then it struck me. I looked inside but couldn't figure out what it was about. It wasn't constant it would stop and start.  

The link about the warble describes some of the same behavior best. Maybe I ought to look for a swarm that took off in the area. That crossed my mind when I first heard it but I wasn't sure. Why would a 5 frame nuc installed in a 10 frame deep, 3 weeks old swarm so soon? Perhaps it was the pierco frames around the wood frames or some other reason.
Cheryl
House Bee

top bar beekeeper

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 03:27:21 PM »

Queen Piping. Issuing a challenge to a Rival Queen.

Here's a video - the piping starts at about 00:12

Beekeeping - Virgin queen honey bee pipping

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle
wd
Field Bee

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 04:28:28 PM »

unfortunately, that doesn't sound like what I heard. if this was what it was, there would have been a lot of virgins queens on the frames at once unless some of the workers, nurse bees etc joined in the with the verbals. if and when heard again I'll try capture the sound some how. hmm maybe it's my imagination working over time.
Paynesgrey
House Bee

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 11:35:56 PM »

I've read that it is the queens chirping challenges at each other, and that it can also be when a mature queen is being frustrated/ prevented by the bees from going after a virgin queen they plan to swarm with, leaving the old queen behind (I guess if she is clipped or otherwise unable to leave with them?), but I have never heard it. Will listen to the clip Smiley 
Grandpa Jim
House Bee

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 12:33:01 AM »

The other year I picked up some queens from a local commercial keeper.  He had a box full of queens(I think it is called a battery box) with queens in cages and attendant bees running free in the box.  When you closed the lid, it was like a chorus of singing queens ....very cool.  Maybe someone with a box-o-queens could make a Christmas CD , than I would not have to listen to those singing cats any more!!!!
Jim
wd
Field Bee

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 01:24:35 AM »

I thought it was cool too and amazing .. a CD, I wonder? I didn't have anything to record with me at the time but will If and when heard again or maybe some else will produce one? The last time I opened this hive a queen was in and laying, she appeared like she had recently started. They're due for a check tomorrow but I don't think they'll be singing this time around. They weren't on the last check anyway. So it sounds like I missed a queen(s) when looking, I'm sort of surprised but it's possible.

edit: I'm leaving some details out

This starter hive had rejected a caged queen, capped some queen cells, chirped and requeened them selves in 4 and a half weeks. They were taking dry mega bee so I sprinkled some on top of the frames, when I did, several moved out the front entrance and bearded. 3 days later I discovered they were queenless. They went queenless for 3 and half weeks and the new queen as mentioned above arrived naturally. Chirping hasn't been heard for roughly seven weeks.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 02:29:52 AM by wd » Logged
acbs
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 10:47:42 AM »

wd,
Sounds like you've already checked the piping queen sound, but I have in a video I shot about 3 years ago where there is also the sound of the "chirping" queen inside a cell on the same frame.  Just thought I'd throw this in.  The sound of the piping starts earlier, but the video of the piping and chriping starts around 6:40.
Arvin

http://www.youtube.com/user/acbees#p/a/f/0/VBlI1sgczVY

If I know how many hives I've got, I haven't got enough.
Unknown
wd
Field Bee

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 02:36:35 PM »

much appreciated, thank you!
Cheryl
House Bee

top bar beekeeper

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 03:31:11 PM »

I love your video! I remember watching it some time last year when I was just getting into the buzz -- Great video, great sounds!! Thanks for posting it Smiley

wd,
Sounds like you've already checked the piping queen sound, but I have in a video I shot about 3 years ago where there is also the sound of the "chirping" queen inside a cell on the same frame.  Just thought I'd throw this in.  The sound of the piping starts earlier, but the video of the piping and chriping starts around 6:40.
Arvin

http://www.youtube.com/user/acbees#p/a/f/0/VBlI1sgczVY

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle
acbs
House Bee

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 08:33:03 PM »

Cheryl and wd,
You're very welcome, glad you enjoyed it!
Arvin

If I know how many hives I've got, I haven't got enough.
Unknown
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next