Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 28, 2014, 08:49:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Never saw anything like it..."  (Read 2884 times)
David LaFerney
Field Bee

« on: May 02, 2010, 09:16:58 PM »

That's what people are saying here in middle TN.  The old all time record for rainfall in a 48 hour period was about 6.5 inches.  So far yesterday and today we've had over 13 - and it's still coming down hard and steady.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 09:24:11 PM »

got a red cross friend headed for Nashville.  she driving one of our ERV (emergency response vehicles) down and she'll stay and work.  

oops, she just changed to Memphis  Smiley

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
David LaFerney
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 10:25:02 PM »

It looks like that so far in Mid Tenn it's mostly property damage and road closures.  Some areas don't have electricity and they are asking Nashville to conserve water, but critical infrastructure is mostly OK.  They did close the mall though.

It's good to know that people are willing to pitch in when needed though.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 10:34:03 PM »

must have hit the thresh-hold to call folks in.  to many without power, or out of homes.  they'll set up a kitchen or two and some shelters.  probably send in some caseworker types.  supplies like cleaning kits, etc.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
G3farms
Queen Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 11:42:47 PM »

must have hit the thresh-hold to call folks in. 

15 inches in the last 24 hours................I think that qualifies

G3

see my swarms and cut outs at https://www.youtube.com/user/soapy22bullet?feature=mhee

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your @ss is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 12:08:44 AM »

they have a formula for when a disaster goes from local to national.  i don't remember what it is, but it has to do with number of people impacted/displaced, size of area impacted, etc.  also needs a request from local for us to come in and do our thing.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 02:52:32 AM »

Must be that frog strangler we had here a couple nights ago.

be happy and make others happy.
G3farms
Queen Bee

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 05:57:12 AM »

David I sure do hope you are on some high ground.

Stay safe!!

G3

see my swarms and cut outs at https://www.youtube.com/user/soapy22bullet?feature=mhee

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your @ss is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!
David LaFerney
Field Bee

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 08:15:01 AM »

David I sure do hope you are on some high ground.

Stay safe!!

G3

For sure, you too.   My clan pretty much all live in the hills.  No flat-landers here.  You?

David LaFerney
Field Bee

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 08:18:20 AM »

they have a formula for when a disaster goes from local to national.  i don't remember what it is, but it has to do with number of people impacted/displaced, size of area impacted, etc.  also needs a request from local for us to come in and do our thing.

It looks like quite a lot of homes have been flooded - in places that were never considered to be at risk before.

Jahjude
House Bee

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 08:54:02 AM »

So sorry to hear abt what's been happening with you guy's in that flooded area Cry Cry-been getting updates on yahoo.
Has the rains ceased as yet David??

I've chosen understanding over knowledge-since knowledge is all about knowing where to find facts and understanding is knowing how to manipulate knowledge...I've also chosen knowledge over beliefs!! We all need to..
VolunteerK9
Super Bee

Gamecock fan in UT land.

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 09:35:36 AM »

So sorry to hear abt what's been happening with you guy's in that flooded area Cry Cry-been getting updates on yahoo.

It's a bit cloudy here today, but I think its all moving northeast from where I live in the southeast part of the state.  We got several inches of rain but nothing like what the Memphis area did.
David LaFerney
Field Bee

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 09:47:41 AM »

It's all moved on this morning - sun shining, birds singing, bees working on the tulip trees. Life is good.

Jahjude
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 01:13:29 PM »

Gr8,that's a relief Wink

I've chosen understanding over knowledge-since knowledge is all about knowing where to find facts and understanding is knowing how to manipulate knowledge...I've also chosen knowledge over beliefs!! We all need to..
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 02:53:13 PM »

That's what people are saying here in middle TN.  The old all time record for rainfall in a 48 hour period was about 6.5 inches.  So far yesterday and today we've had over 13 - and it's still coming down hard and steady.

Is Cleveland anywhere near you???
David LaFerney
Field Bee

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 05:40:13 PM »

Is Cleveland anywhere near you???

It's about 2 hours away from where I live.  Why you ask?

annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 06:47:03 PM »

I have a good friend who lives there so I was wondering if he would have been affected by all the rain.  Sounds like he probably got drenched.
David LaFerney
Field Bee

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 07:31:45 PM »

I have a good friend who lives there so I was wondering if he would have been affected by all the rain.  Sounds like he probably got drenched.

I'm not sure, but it's possible that a lot of it missed them.  The hard rain came in from the south west and moved off to the north east, so it actually might not have been too bad in Cleveland - which is south east of here.

reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 08:47:35 PM »

Did it hit in the Crossville area too, Dave?

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
David LaFerney
Field Bee

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010, 10:54:18 PM »

Did it hit in the Crossville area too, Dave?

I think they got about 8 inches of rain if I remember correctly.  Shirley shot a wedding at Fairfield glade Saturday afternoon, and at that time it was no big deal there - just regular rain. 

BTW...

The paulownia trees are in bloom now.  They should be called perfume trees.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next