Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 21, 2014, 12:28:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spill Baby Spill  (Read 5840 times)
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2010, 07:04:41 PM »

I think hail is the right word, but the wrong spelling, Keith.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
kedgel
House Bee

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2010, 12:05:21 AM »

Very, very sad. I feel awful for the environmental consequences, the tourism and fishery consequences, and the gas prices we are likely to see this summer.

Sure wish we in America would get serious about cutting consumption. And other sources of energy.
Don't fall for the "cutting consumption/alternative energy baloney.  Oil is the fuel for the economic engine in America and the world--and will be for the forseeable future.  You can't conserve your way to prosperity any more than you can conserve your way work.  If you want to get there, chances are, you gotta burn some gas!  As for alternative energy, when the market demands it and it becomes economically viable, someone will produce it.  The hybrids that Curious George wants to cram down our throats aren't selling because nobody wants one.  Their re-sale value is falling faster than the real estate prices.  Wind power is a joke and solar isn't much better.  We all want to conserve within reason, but if I want to drive a Hummer and get 10 MPG and can afford to fuel it, it isn't anybody's business but mine--certainly not the bloody government's!  If you want to walk to work to "conserve", knock yerself out!  It's funny how Bozos like Algore tell everybody else they need to reduce their "carbon footprint", yet he still drives his big yacht around the water and he flies private jets all over the world.  Oh, and he doesn't light his (multiple) homes with candles or cool them with a breeze box either!

Talent is a dull blade that cuts nothing unless wielded with great force--Pat Travers
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2010, 10:58:05 AM »

Could be that we have hugely different life experiences.

Here in WI, I see hybrid cars frequently. People are working like mad on corn, switchgrass and other alternative energy fuels. Others use their farm waste to fuel their farm, and even some cheese factories recycle their wastewater through greenhouses, bringing in further revenue. We have city rooftop gardens, urban farms completely closed-looped regarding energy and lots of other innovative things going on here regarding energy.

Around here, businesses get a competitive edge by "outgreening" the other guy.

As for you using as much of a natural resource as you want, I guess technically that's your right. Seeing as you are one person sharing a resource that belongs to the entire planet, I guess common sense and courtesy would dictate that you be respectful in your use of that resource. Plus, I have yet to meet someone who wouldn't benefit from a little more walking and biking.

As for Gore, I agree that he is a hypocrite. Doesn't mean that conserving is a bad idea. Makes sense to me that you don't blast your way through a finite resource and hope for the best, that someone will have come up with some affordable alternative by the time you have made your way through it.

I think this challenge will be met by innovative, super smart, creative people who can get past "the way we have always done it" and discover new, better ways to do it. Kinda like beekeeping, up against the challenge of mites, CCD and other issues.

The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2010, 04:52:17 PM »

Use it up, that will accelerate the invention curve.

be happy and make others happy.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2010, 05:00:17 PM »

Think "BIG OIL COMPANIES" or coal

While there is money to be made they will keep it where the oil and coal are just a wee bit cheaper to use than the alternative stuff. As that trickles in and the oil trickles out, then the other stuff will finally be affordable.

Remember we were suppose to run out of oil in the nineties I believe it was. You were around during the oil crunch of the early seventies right?

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Mason
House Bee

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2010, 05:26:55 PM »

We will BE oil before we run out of oil.

Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP
Ollie
House Bee

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2010, 09:42:59 AM »

I say gas will be 5 to 7 dollars a gallon by mid summer.

Prices going down...go figure...

Life is good...Make it gooder!
DavesBees
House Bee

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2010, 10:08:44 AM »

Insert giant straw - get a portion of the oil.
Insert giant straw with inflatable donut around it - get it all.
I really believe it could be that simple.
Just because it is a big problem does not mean there is not a small solution.

Dave - PM me if you are interseted in natural beekeeping in Hancock County Maine.
http://www.davesbees.com
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2010, 10:35:13 AM »

I think this challenge will be met by innovative, super smart, creative people

yup.  and they have always existed.  the product will be developed and brought to market when a profit can be made.  the government could help by getting the EPA, and tree huggers out of the way.  they could offer incentive like tax reduction or even tax free profit to the first company that comes up with a viable/cost effective alternative to ?.  

so far, what has been done is expensive and damaging.  wind and solar are not cost effective and can't be done on large enough scale (yet) to make a dent in power needs.  dumping a major food source into our gas tanks is just plain stupid.  

Seeing as you are one person sharing a resource that belongs to the entire planet

we are not sharing anything.  we are buying from those who own the land over whatever resource we need.  

all that aside, it makes no sense to force drilling so far off shore and to restrict drilling on land.  this spill would not be so hard to control if the companies had not be forced to drill so far out and so deep.

i remember the days when it seemed that everyone in CA had an oil well in their backyard.  

regulations and  tree huggers have forced many who would innovate to give up.  it's not worth the fight, and if you are not a big company, it's not worth the money.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2010, 01:53:01 PM »

I hope I'm wrong but summer is not here yet.

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2010, 04:13:24 PM »

Insert giant straw - get a portion of the oil.
Insert giant straw with inflatable donut around it - get it all.
I really believe it could be that simple.
Just because it is a big problem does not mean there is not a small solution.

I was thinking the first devise they sent down would have worked if they hooked the hose to it so they could circulate the water through it so it wouldn't ice up. But then we aren't the brainiacs are we?

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2010, 02:04:02 AM »

the oil that is being spilled had no bearing on the price of gas this summer. that oil would never have made it to production to affect the price of gas during the summer much less next winter.
vermmy35
Field Bee

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2010, 10:40:55 AM »

As a former commercial diver with American Oilfield Diver now called Stol Comex seaways this spill makes me sick.  Not that it happened, but how many safeguards that were ignored or allowed to be ignored.  It also makes me sick on how the lame stream media are reporting the spill.  Next, spills are reported in how many barrels are dumped not gallons, I guess it just sounds like better to use gallons. 

Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2010, 10:58:47 AM »

Gallons = bigger numbers

Jerry

Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2010, 01:20:02 PM »

dumping a major food source into our gas tanks is just plain stupid.  

And more costly in energy production "oil" to produce the inefficient corn ethanol than just making auto fuel = 90% gasoline + 10% gasoline (not a typo)
with corn being a grossly inefficient ethanol producer compared to cane sugar or sugar beet as well.

be happy and make others happy.
Mason
House Bee

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2010, 12:13:53 PM »

Here's what I want to know.  Where is Hollywood?  How about GulfAid concert to raise funds.  Seen any hotlines to make a donation to the victims or for clean-up.  This is a screaming example of what does and does not trigger the LGF (Liberal Guilt Factor).  The LGF is only triggered to give handouts to chronic losers and failed societies.  If it is Haiti they are all over it.  If it is the slums of New Orleans they can't give enough.  In this case it is hard working fisherman, platform workers and those that make it off of the tourist trade and hospitality.  People with jobs or at least used to have jobs.  Obama summed it up  "these are resilient people who will bounce back".  Therefore no help is needed?  No need to come together on this as BP will pay for everything or he will "kick their ass".  The audacity of arrogance........... 

Speaking of Obama.  Did you hear the media let him get away with his comment that he was on the Gulf 30 days ago.  News Flash!  this thing has been going on for over 40 days.  As I recall he was on vacation when this happened and did nothing but send attorneys to see who could be sued.

As we all know this oil spill is Bush's fault right?  What else you got?

Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2010, 02:53:31 PM »

But really what is the point in Obama spending all those tax dollars to fly down to the gulf? Kick a bit of tar and soil the toe of his shoe so he can say, "I am looking into it"

There is nothing he can do there that he can not do over the phone. Then the money saved could be sent to help those that are harmed by the mess. A lot of people do not realize there is more than just the cost of the huge jet the president flies in. There are other planes involved also. I am not sure what all there is but there is a lot.

Jerry

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2010, 03:55:06 PM »

there is nothing he can do to stop the spill.  what he could have been doing is making sure that the needed things were not tied up in red tape.  we don't need an environmental study before we try to keep oil off the beach.  even if the plan didn't work, doing nothing doesn't work either.  the other huge mistake he's made is to suspend drilling.  how many more people does he want out of work?  taxes not paid?  state economy impacted even more than already?

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Mason
House Bee

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2010, 10:24:34 AM »

The point of the President going to a catastrophe is leadership.  In times of crisis people look for a leader.  The cost of flying the president to the Gulf is the same as flying him to a vacation destination.  It's his job.  I know it's the first job he has ever had but I still expect him to do it.

This spill is America's problem not BP's.  Fine them,  throw them in jail, "kick their ass" whatever you do to BP doesn't solve the problem.  The president should be calling for Americans to unite and get this thing cleaned up and the coast back to work.  Instead it is a blame game and more decisions that only amount to increasing the problems for coastal communities.  He has refused help from several countries who had equipment to help us out.  Instead we opt for a limited number booms and skimmers which are 1970's technology while other more modern solutions are overlooked.

Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2010, 01:56:19 PM »

What  huh  huh

I would think a true leader would point out the uselessness and wastefulness of him going down there to stand on the beach, shake his fist out toward the gulf and curse out BP.

It waste tax payer's money.
It adds to the carbon foot print.... if you believe in that crap..... which he does.
Does nothing to curb our dependence on foreign oil.

OH! and while the average citizen might get a paid vacation..... their travel expense are not covered.

Jerry

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next