Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 16, 2014, 06:29:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spill Baby Spill  (Read 5431 times)
David LaFerney
Field Bee

« on: April 29, 2010, 03:03:25 PM »

Apparently that safety technology for off shore drilling isn't quite what it was cracked up to be.  I guess on the upside there are about to be a bunch of job openings in the field of environmental cleanup. 

I wish it wasn't so.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 04:27:55 PM »

I hate to say that the timing makes me question the cause. When it was only a debate and drilling was blocked by things like billion dollar bonds - nothing happened. Obama authorizes drilling and BANG a platform catches fire and the fail-safes fail to safe. I'm not irrational enough to seriously consider it's no more than a windfall coincidence for the anti-drilling activists; but that doesn't cancel my suspicious streak.

be happy and make others happy.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 05:07:15 PM »

remember after the Alaska spill and the coast was going to be ruined for 100 years??  remember Rita and the fishing in LA was going to be ruined for years?  around 60% of all oil found on beachs can be traced to naturally occurring seepage.  it amounts to many thousands of gallons per year. 

there will be an immediate impact on fishing and that is unfortunate for those in the area, but it will not be as bad, or last as long, as the "environmentalists" will make it out to be.  and yes, the timing is suspicious.  oil is not that volatile.  maybe they hit natural gas?

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 05:43:40 PM »

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/theoval/post/2010/04/obama-well-use-every-single-available-resource-to-contain-oil-slick/1

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Mason
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 07:57:42 AM »

This spill really sickens me.

As a N.O. native and spending much of my childhood on the Mississippi coast fishing it's a blow to my soul.  They still don't know what caused it and it's still not capped.  I'm no tree hugging greeny but this is ridiculous.

All of the oil companies should take an active role in getting this resolved not just BP.   

Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP
David LaFerney
Field Bee

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 08:10:17 AM »

Everyone is an environmentalist when it is their own environment getting poisoned.  If it's all cleaned up good as new in 5 years (not likely) it will still be a catastrophe.  If you care nothing for the environment, but only for money it will still be a catastrophe.  Just think of the jobs that it might cost in fishing and beach resorts alone.   BP says that they will pay for it all, but can they replace jobs that will be lost even if they want to?  It's quite likely that even more families will be displaced by collapsed local economies around the gulf because of this.  I don't know, I'm just guessing, maybe it will just float out there and not do too much damage.  We'll see soon I guess.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 08:44:35 AM »

believe me in my normal life i work for an environmental company in Baton Rouge and this spill will be bad
David LaFerney
Field Bee

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 08:59:57 AM »

believe me in my normal life i work for an environmental company in Baton Rouge and this spill will be bad

I believe you.

JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 09:09:44 AM »

Yesterday evening my sis n law went over to the fish village and got what might be the last of inland shrimp for who knows how long. She got some for me too.

The shrimp village vendors said people were buying ice chest loads of shrimp all day and that starting today many of the fisherman will be applying for food stamps.

Nothing good will come out of this.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 12:09:56 PM »

no doubt it will be bad.  unfortunately, it will be used as an excuse by the "environmentalists" to halt drilling by the US.  of course, the Mexicans, Chinese, etc. will drill on and we will buy from them.

Alexis de Tocqueville
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 04:15:05 PM »

O'bummer just put a freeze on drilling. Didn't take long, did it, Kathy?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36865687/ns/us_news-environment
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 05:02:38 PM by iddee » Logged

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 08:16:02 AM »

I say gas will be 5 to 7 dollars a gallon by mid summer.

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 12:51:34 AM »

Very, very sad. I feel awful for the environmental consequences, the tourism and fishery consequences, and the gas prices we are likely to see this summer.

Sure wish we in America would get serious about cutting consumption. And other sources of energy.

The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
Bee Happy
Super Bee

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 03:41:05 AM »

I'm not sure being a quiet gun owner is actually effective. Since quiet, reasonable, rational gun owners don't really exist. - at least not according to people who prefer guns to be banned.

Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 05:04:56 AM »

Bee Happy is being too happy.

What you been drinking?  Wink

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Mason
House Bee

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 10:42:32 AM »

No doubt that our current administration will over reach with regulations and control only to achieve nothing more than yet another ineffective bureaucracy.  What will definitely result from this is higher pump prices.

If you don't already have one buy a scooter or small motorcycle now.  Mine gets 85mpg and I filled up yesterday for $4.  I use it for all my local transportation,  it's fun,  saves money and I park at the front door of everywhere I go.  In 2008 when gas was over $4 and we had a fuel shortage in Atlanta it was the ticket.   

Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 10:53:08 AM »

this falls under SH.  it's in there with hurricanes, volcano's, etc.  i know, man made...but no more or less a disaster.  sure makes a good excuse for some though.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Bee Happy
Super Bee

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 10:58:25 AM »

Bee Happy is being too happy.

What you been drinking?  Wink

Zaya Rum. well, not today, today I'm drinking pepto and chewable asprin.

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 12:01:00 PM »

BTW....has anyone heard anything from the prez on the floods?  more deaths than the coal mine explosion.  certainly more destruction.  has he even done a flyover?Huh

Alexis de Tocqueville
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 01:36:50 PM »

no flyover yet he is busy creating new jobs with an oil spill govt agency. next he will create more jobs with a govt flood management team. he will single handily fix this dumb job crisis all hail obama
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next