Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 28, 2014, 01:07:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: laying workers and nuc.  (Read 622 times)
achunter
House Bee

« on: April 27, 2010, 09:18:58 PM »

Alright so i have a hive with laying workers. I ordered a queen that i am going to use to save the bees of lay laying worker colony. Im going to take 2 frames of brood and a frame of honey and put it into a hive body. I will then add the queen to this colony after it has sat a day without a queen. Now my question is, should i let the queen come out before i put the hive in the place of the laying worker colony and shaking all the bees from the laying worker colony out in the feild so they fly back into my new nuc i made oooor should i shake the bees out and let them fly back to a caged queen?
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 09:32:19 PM »

I would keep to queen caged during the process, they may kill her. Good luck, I have had mixed results with shaking out a laying worker hive.

If you have several other hives, I would shake the bees out and let them be homeless, meaning no hive in the original location to return to. They will find a new home in your other hives. In a day or two, you could pull bees from the other hives and start a nuc with my new queen.

Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 12:02:08 AM »

Introducing a queen to laying workers is usually a futile desperate attempt to save a hive.  A frame of open brood every week for three weeks will work every time.  Introducing a queen fails almost every time... if you put her on some emerging worker brood from another hive and add a frame of open brood, you may have a chance.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslayingworkers.htm

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Grandma_DOG
House Bee

Build it, and they will comb.

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 12:01:13 PM »

Miller long ago found the solution was to minimize the stress on the beekeeper from a laying worker. Ruthlessly break up the hive and put it in others.  You can always make a new nuc from other hives to replace it.

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 12:41:30 PM »

i have to agree.  not worth messing with if you have other hives.  walk your hive out away from the others.  shake it all out.  put the box they came out of in the barn.  the bees will join your other hives and make them stronger. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next