Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: comment on my two new hives/foundationless vs plasticell  (Read 817 times)

Offline harvey

• House Bee
comment on my two new hives/foundationless vs plasticell
« on: April 27, 2010, 02:33:08 PM »
I know I am jumping the gun but after 24 hours I checked to see if my queens were released. And to ensure they didn't build comb all around the foundationless hives queen cause I stuck her between two frames.  I later read never to do that!  First hive with plasticell from dadent.  Queen was released and bees were running around the foundation.  No comb yet.  Second hive that is foundationless, just frames with popsicle sticks.  Queen was still in cage but they were working on getting her out.  They had started some comb on the queen cage.  Good thing I checked.  I moved her to the top of the bars, figure she will be out by end of today. SUPRISE!!  There were two combs in the foundationless hive about six inches down and six inches across!!!  In 24 hours!!!   I put a few foundationless frames in the other hive and will transition them as soon as I can!!    Michael Bush   :-D

Online kathyp

• Universal Bee
Re: comment on my two new hives/foundationless vs plasticell
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 02:51:56 PM »
i found this to be true on wax foundation also.  they build the foundationless out much faster and build what they need.
.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 03:14:32 PM »
That's great, Harvey! I've only had foundationless, but my bees seemed to build up faster on foundationless than a friend's bees on foundation. Awesome :D
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 03:40:30 PM »
 It's also cheaper - Congrats!

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 03:41:42 AM »
Do you paint any wax on the bars to help the bees draw their own foundation?

Offline harvey

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 12:41:36 PM »
I melted a little wax from some old comb and just drizzeled it on the wedge that I glued into the slot of the frame.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 01:02:49 PM »
Do you paint any wax on the bars to help the bees draw their own foundation?

I think the general consensus is that it definitely doesnt hurt but isnt required. I installed my first 3 packages a few weeks ago using nothing but the wedge as a starter strip and they are doing just fine with it.  I briefly checked on them last night and witnessed my first festooning party. Pretty darned cool.

anything