Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 25, 2014, 11:28:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gun Ban Sign  (Read 11699 times)
Sparky
Field Bee

« on: April 25, 2010, 09:22:55 PM »

Ralph, my neighbor is a "lefty" of sorts (Obama bumper stickers, gung-ho
socialized medicine, "guns should be banned", etc.).  So last week I put
this sign up in my yard after one of his anti-gun rants at a
neighborhood cocktail party.  The sign wasn't up more than an hour
before he called the police and wanted them to make me take down the
sign.

Fortunately, the officer politely informed him that it was not their job
to take such action without a court order and that he had to file a
complaint "downtown" first, which would be reviewed by the city attorney
to see if it violated any city, county, or state ordinances, which if
there was a violation a court order would be sent to the offending party
(me) to "remove the sign in seven days". 

After several weeks he was informed that the sign was legal (by a
quarter of an inch) and there was nothing the city could do, which
obviously made him madder.  I tried to smooth things over by inviting
him to go shooting with me and my friends at the hunt club but that
seemed to make him even more angry. 

I then asked him if he wanted to go to a Tea Party rally, but again he
declined my outreach efforts to bring about a better understanding
between political and social opponents.

I am at a loss how to reconcile our long relationship (notice I did not
say friendship), any suggestions would be welcome.

Anyway, that's life in our neck of the woods, how's about yours?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
c10250
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 08:47:06 AM »

This is a joke. See http://keepamericaatwork.com/?p=4279 for the same picture.

Notwithstanding this, who would be so ignorant to a neighbor.

As a card-carying NRA member, who just got back from a weekend of shooting, I have to say that you are a jag off for doing that to your neighbor.  Definitely not neighborly.  

As someone who cares deeply about gun rights, I don't think a sign like that helps our cause at all.  I think it sends the wrong message.  Actually, I think it tells the world, "here lives just another wack-job gun owner."

Finally, I think it's a bad idea to let people know you keep guns.  I know of a person who's guns were robbed just after he advertised some for sale.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 09:02:38 AM by c10250 » Logged
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 09:12:27 AM »

Totally off the wall reply. Mean, unnecessary, and, in my opinion, completely wrong. The sign is meant to be funny while it sends a message. I think it does it's job.

PS. I'm 65, grew up hunting, with guns in every corner of the home, combat veteran, and conceal carry licensed, so I wouldn't call myself a wack-job.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
c10250
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 09:42:09 AM »

OK, so we disagree.  While the owner of the sign might not be a wack job, the sign certainly gives that impression.  By the way, I think the sign itself is "mean, unnecessary, and, in my opinion, completely wrong. "

By the way, your point of view contradicts your signature "Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth".  I think both neighbors should have a hand placed over their mouths.

PS I am an avid hunter of most things legal to hunt.  I own more guns than I probably should.

Vibe
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 10:37:30 AM »

By the way, I think the sign itself is "mean, unnecessary, and, in my opinion, completely wrong. "
Of course it is. Which is exactly the point, in that it is no more "mean, unnecessary, and, in my opinion, completely wrong. " than the gun banning crowds methods of demonizing guns and gun owners. I've always heard that turn about was fair play - this is hardly as bad a publishing ALL of the CCW holders names in the newspaper. Which HAS been done in reality, not just as a suggested joke.

The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 12:28:26 PM »

Wow!  That's a lot of feeling for a picture that is photoshopped.  rolleyes

Rick
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 12:56:15 PM »

i don't care if people know i have guns.  when i am gone, they are locked in the safe. my routine when i come home is 1. grab coffee 2. let dogs out 3. open gun safe.  4. put gun that i have been carrying where it is close at hand. 

want to rob my house while i' gone?  fine.  get past the dogs and it's all yours.  i'm insured.  want to do it while i'm home?  MAKE MY DAY.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
c10250
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 01:23:18 PM »

i don't care if people know i have guns.  when i am gone, they are locked in the safe. my routine when i come home is 1. grab coffee 2. let dogs out 3. open gun safe.  4. put gun that i have been carrying where it is close at hand. 

want to rob my house while i' gone?  fine.  get past the dogs and it's all yours.  i'm insured.  want to do it while i'm home?  MAKE MY DAY.

Amen!

but you don't need to bash your neighbor . . .
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 01:48:17 PM »

i don't like yard signs.  i think if i had a neighbor like that i'd take daily target practice in my back yard.  fortunately, i don't have many neighbors  grin

that said, i am not above bashing my neighbors if they make their position obnoxious.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 02:12:17 PM »

>>>>By the way, your point of view contradicts your signature "Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth".<<<<

At least I'm smart enough to know I need it. Too bad some others aren't.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
Jim 134
Super Bee

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 03:32:47 PM »

>>>>By the way, your point of view contradicts your signature "Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth".<<<<

At least I'm smart enough to know I need it. Too bad some others aren't.

LOL

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  Smiley

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/
deknow
Field Bee

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 04:41:29 PM »

i'd consider a "my neighbor owns guns, but has gone away for the weekend.  their phone # is 555-555-5555 if you want to ring them to see if they are home" sign as retaliation Smiley

deknow
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 04:50:35 PM »

That may well get someone shot when your neighbor feigns a weekend trip. You could possibly be charged with instigating it.

*Shel Silverstein*
deknow
Field Bee

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 05:21:51 PM »

if my next door neighbor feigned a weekend trip so that they had an excuse to shoot someone (that _is_ what you are saying, isn't it?), i expect lawn signs would be the least of the problems.  as far as being "charged", i'd be curious to know what charges would fit "the crime".

deknow
Sparky
Field Bee

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 08:40:09 PM »

pop WOW ! At least we have some real red blooded AMERICANS that still stand up for what they believe in. Like Charlton Heston said ( If they want to take my guns, they will have to pry them from my cold dead hands. ) It was sent as a joke but I like that it sparked peoples defence of their rights. My neighbors know that there is often a bit of shooting that happens around here. That leaves any passer buyers that we would not hesitate to use a gun for what is needed because we know how to use them.
deknow
Field Bee

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 07:20:26 AM »

red blooded americans?  you mean the kind that cherish their right to free speech by expressing their opinion at a cocktail party?  remember, in the "joke" originally posted here, the sign was a reaction to just that...someone expressing their opinion at a cocktail party.  i'm not sure why (even as a "joke") the sign is seen as a reasonable response to the situation.

deknow
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 09:30:58 AM »

the drunks free speech is not abridged by this sign.  this is simply a response to his opinion.   

Alexis de Tocqueville
c10250
House Bee

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 12:33:11 PM »

the drunks free speech is not abridged by this sign.  this is simply a response to his opinion.   

Who was drunk?  Where does it say that?

Anyway, I think the gun-nut's sign certainly has a chilling effect on speech.

It's kind of like saying, "you can say what you want, but there will be hell to pay if I don't agree."

Anyway, who'd want to live next to a wack-job like that?
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 03:03:35 PM »

>>>>Anyway, who'd want to live next to a wack-job like that?<<<<

ME! ME! ME!

Better than sheeple any day.

Free speech is only from the government. Consequences can still be expected from the others who also have free speech rights. It is NOT a one sided rule.

*Shel Silverstein*
c10250
House Bee

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 03:09:46 PM »

>>>>Anyway, who'd want to live next to a wack-job like that?<<<<

ME! ME! ME!

You're nuts.  You may agree with him on this matter.  It's all good until you disagree with him about something, then there's hell to pay.  No one agrees on everything.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next