Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 29, 2014, 03:50:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Never seen THIS before...  (Read 632 times)
kedgel
House Bee

« on: April 24, 2010, 09:51:25 AM »

I was called to get a swarm from a yard ornament last week.  When I got there, the swarm was gone, but the lady showed me the hive where they came from.  It was in the wall of a shed about 20' away.  There was a lot of activity with hundreds of bees buzzing about the entrance.  I went over for a closer look and for a second I thought I was seeing a new kind of bee I'd never seen before.  These suckers were huge!  I watched for awhile and noticed in the flurry of bees a few "normal" field bees with pollen on them going in.  I realized I was seeing drones by the hundreds!   shocked I've never seen so many drones in flight before.  I was wondering, did the old hive have one (or more?) virgin queen that was attracting all the drones?  My golden retreiver was in heat recently, and every male dog that got her scent was hanging around.  Do drones do the same thing?  I've never seen this many drones in a hive, so I'm guessing they were from neighboring hives.  Anyone else seen this?

Talent is a dull blade that cuts nothing unless wielded with great force--Pat Travers
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 10:59:16 AM »

probably.  i have noticed that when i pick up swarms with virgin queens, the swarm has a large number of drones with it. you may have witnessed a mating flight, or they were gathering for one.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 09:33:24 PM »

I saw a queen bee on my brick pile a few years ago surrounded by several bees.    Some were workers and some drones, maybe about 10 or 12 bees total.  I think a queen scent can be picked up by bees a ways off.   The drones smelled the goal in life.
Ollie
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 11:22:13 AM »

Maybe the hive was a hive that had lost its queen and not being able to raise one the workers started laying...workers can only lay drones....

Life is good...Make it gooder!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next