Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 27, 2014, 08:21:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Working in "Bad" Weather  (Read 1038 times)
beek4018
House Bee

« on: April 24, 2010, 01:00:05 PM »

I know you are never supposed to open & work your hive when it's raining or windy.

But right now I'm in between.

The hive is really ready for it's second brood super (8 drawn frames and lots of capped brood, etc.).

It rained this morning, but is not now.  It's damp out and humid, but not really wet.  There's rain on the way, and probably tomorrow as well.

They appear to be working normally right now, coming and going as if it were a normal sunny day.

In general should I be more afraid of them swarming for lack of space, or opening the hive and finding them all at home even though it's not actively raining while it's not raining?

Also I just worked them two days ago and would prefer to wait until Monday to crack the lid just to give them a break.

With a clear hour of no active rain and light wind, is it okay to work them, or better to wait?

Thanks.
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 01:31:57 PM »

There's a difference in working them and opening them.

Smoke them SEMI-heavily, wait 45 seconds, lift lid, install super, adjust frames tightly to center, replace lid.

GET OUT OF DODGE.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
beek4018
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 01:45:29 PM »

The problem is I've got to wok them this time.

My bottom super has a giant growing crack and must be replaced, so I'm going to have to transfer all of the brood frames in addition to adding the  second deep.
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 03:43:28 PM »

But you can add the deep this week and the replacement next week or next month. Duct tape works miracles.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 03:58:28 PM »

The guys are in the yard doing cutouts in the rain here at Buds in Macon,ms.The bees haven't complained much. Pretty calm really .
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 04:38:19 PM »

i just hived a swarm between heavy showers, but i agree with iddee; a crack is not an emergency.  do that work when you are not rushed by weather.  pop the new box on now.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
rast
Field Bee

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 08:05:47 PM »

Iddee "Duct tape works miracles."

And it will last for months, specialy that black Gorilla Tape.

Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 08:29:46 PM »

Don't replace a box because of a crack.   Those things cost money.   Do in field repair.  Nails, screws,  glue, wood putty, bondo, and lastly tape.  The bees will take care of that crack from the inside, and their glue will hold pretty good.  This winter paint the box and nobody will notice.
The Bix
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 11:42:19 AM »

Duct tape works miracles.

Nice to hear I'm not the only one that uses duct tape.  grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next