Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 02, 2014, 10:12:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GPS for the car,any recommendations  (Read 1811 times)
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« on: April 18, 2010, 09:29:52 AM »

I saw a garmin nuvia260 I can get for 75 dollars used.
I may purchase a new one. Any recommendations ,what do you all use? Features you do and don't like?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 10:11:56 AM by buzzbee » Logged
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 09:45:54 AM »

I use a map  Jerry

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 09:57:46 AM »

I use a map  Jerry
If you ever used a gps navigator you'd throw the map away.I remember Saturday Night live sniglets:
What do you call someone who can drive and fold a road map at the same time?             Accordianated
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 10:23:16 AM »

Garmin Nuvi 255. It's quite handy.Now I don't have to take the wife to each new place. She can find it without me.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 10:37:08 AM »

Here is what is going to happen. So many people will start using GPS and they will stop making maps. Then there will be a shift in the earths magnetic field and the GPS will be useless and no one will know how to read a map.... if they could find one.

And I have heard cases of the GPS giving wrong directions  shocked

OH remember... I don't even like cell phones.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 10:40:03 AM »

Thanks Idde, and Jerry,as long as theres google earth you will always have a map. I still have my map book.
Telephones did away with the telegraph but I have yet to see a downside there.
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 04:51:28 PM »

We drive everywhere with two GPSs fired up (Garmin nuvi 750 that I'd like to throw out the window, and my Garmin iQue 3600 that is the best GPS I've ever used) and a map book open in my lap.  No chance we won't be able to use a map if the GPSs go belly up!  They are a wonderful thing, as long as you can see they're not sending you into neverending loops (yes, they most definitely can give you bad directions - it's the old GIGO thing again).

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 04:55:21 PM »

we bought one at sam's club at what seemed like a deal, until we unpacked it and found out it didnt come with a $300 antenna of some kind - we took it back.

be happy and make others happy.
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 05:04:05 PM »

we bought one at sam's club at what seemed like a deal, until we unpacked it and found out it didnt come with a $300 antenna of some kind - we took it back.
Most have a built in antenna unless you are sending out tracking data for your unit.Even the ones for hooking up to a pc are reasonably priced,but you need the laptop on the whole time.
VolunteerK9
Super Bee

Gamecock fan in UT land.

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 08:46:21 PM »

Ive had a Tom Tom for a few years now.  My only advice is to update it frequently via your computer. It can get me where I need to go, however at times seems to take two lane pig trails to get there.  Real handy when you are driving to a specific address.
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 09:55:02 PM »

I have had Garmin and Tom Tom. Both are good, but I prefer the Tom Tom.

Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 12:53:25 PM »

i have the nuvi 780.  so far, it has only taken me off track once and it was an understandable detour when i looked at the map.

i wanted bluetooth and wide screen.  this has both.  also has a very clear voice and good volume control.  will do multiple stops which i find nice and has popular points, shortest or fastest route, etc.  also has expansion slot and i put a 4 gig card in and downloaded some books.   will play through the radio, so that's nice.

it will do MSN, but i found no use for that especially in rural areas, so i didn't subscribe after the free 30 days.

i agree about the updates.  it was worth it to me to buy the lifetime update package because of the red cross stuff.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 01:45:14 PM »

I saw a garmin nuvia260 I can get for 75 dollars used.
I may purchase a new one. Any recommendations ,what do you all use? Features you do and don't like?

I believe this is the same model I have and I just love it.  I always check my maps first so I know where I am going because as others have said, sometimes it tries to take you off in another direction, so it is always good to know the general direction.

But it has gotten me out of some confusing situations.

wd
Field Bee

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 02:18:04 PM »

my acquaintances like the garmin used with a map .. I tried a cobra used with a map. it burnt up a year later used in a big truck. at the time the cobra didn't have trucking routes or new construction / roads.
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 02:23:32 PM »

nuvi 255W here and very happy with it. Like it much better than the Magellan my Dad has....

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2010, 02:02:06 AM »

I've never been lost, in the woods or on the road, either one.  I use dead recogning and logic.  Many a time I've gone to a city I've never been to, gotten and address of where I wanted to go and driven right to it.  After 35 years my wife still can't believe I can do that, time after time.  I've done it in Seattle, Spokane, Portland, Ore, Los Angeles, Washington D.C., Atlanta, and a whole lot of wihistle stops in between.  I'll get a GPS unit when cars start driving themselves, though I'm playing with the idea of using a GPS for some ham radio stuff.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2010, 03:05:57 AM »

If i can recommend one namebrand it would be Garmin, stick with the higher models. But thats me I love bells and whistles. Also I have had it drive me down some questionable roads. In south Louisiana we have sugar cane fields and sometime in the past some farmer named the roads in his fields, the GPS will route you down these roads if you aren't paying attention. Also it will take you down logging roads learned that in back woods mississippi one night. BUt, you can activate the feature to stay on major roads and stop all that I just like driving back roads. But most important advice I can give is don't leave the thing on your windshield when you leave the car. People like to steal them my wife found that out earlier this year in my Truck hissy fit

Keith
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2010, 03:22:29 AM »

I have a Tom Tom 7 or 9 something, can't remember the model. Am pretty happy with it, gets me very near my destination in rural areas and dead on to most addresses in cities.

In really rural areas like Bud's place I saved the waypoint in favorites. That's a neat feature.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2010, 10:42:00 AM »

keith, really good point on the theft.  i got the bean bag dash mount so that i could stash it quickly. 

check ebay for things like a case...same with cells accessories.  always good deals.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2010, 11:22:23 AM »

Well,
I borrowed one from a friend for the Bud 2 trip. It was quite handy,especially going around Birmingham midday. With many lanes of traffic and some times exiting right and then maybe left,it was good to have a heads up ahead of time about which side of the highway you needed to be on.

I can not see taking the risk of trying to read a map on the go when the technology of pointing you in the right direction as you drive is there.I saw the biggest hazard as being the guy flying across four lanes of traffic because he didn't realize until the last moment he was going to miss his turn.
I will be acquiring one soon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next