Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 23, 2014, 08:40:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fireweed honey?  (Read 812 times)
mastro
New Bee

« on: April 22, 2010, 09:43:13 AM »

Where do you get this stuff, I've had many people tell me it is the best honey they have ever had.
lotsobees
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 09:52:17 AM »

Up here in the Great Northwest at the end of the flow

--John Schwartz
Psalm 119 - "How sweet are Your words to my taste, Sweeter than honey to my mouth!"
Burl
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 12:33:40 PM »

Fireweed is my favorite honey !  We have it here in northern British Columbia .  It is perfectly clear and very slow to crystalize .  It has a flavor all its own , like maybe a little taste of heaven here on earth .   
  It's interesting how the plant gets its name .  When the seedling first emerges in the spring it is a bright red .  It produces a very showy purple flower stalk in the late summer.  And in the fall the fall the plant turns shades of yellow and red ( fire colors ) and the seed plumes release with a white silk-like stuff , looking like puffs of smoke .        ---Burl---

Of all the things I've ever been called ;
I do like "Dad" the most .   ---Burl---
Dracono
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 12:55:02 PM »

I wonder if it will grow down here in Catalina, Arizona? I would love to try it out.
any way of getting me some seeds from any of ya?

Dracono
mastro
New Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 01:56:07 PM »

Whats a good price/lb for the stuff.  I cant seem to find any in bulk. Best price I saw for 1 lb was 7 dollars or so but it did not claim it was raw.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 02:07:24 PM »

it grows best from root.  do a search.  cindi and i have had fireweed adventures.

i don't know if it will grow in AZ.  it grows best here in burns.  i have patches of it and it seems to have taken over old burn pile areas on my property.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Dracono
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 03:04:54 PM »

well I have a few burned area's here but I would be willing to give it a try.
if it thrives is burned area's that tells me it likes a lot of sulfur.

Thanks for the info Kathey
Dracono

Dracono
marksmith
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 07:07:07 PM »

Whats a good price/lb for the stuff.  I cant seem to find any in bulk. Best price I saw for 1 lb was 7 dollars or so but it did not claim it was raw.

There is a local place right now that has the nap-fire stuff (nap weed and fire weed) for 3-4$/lb bulk. (your own container)  The nap fire is AWESOME honey.

Mark Smith - Elkton, OR
Flygirl
House Bee

~ It's never to late to have a happy childhood ~

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 07:55:47 PM »

Fireweed is just that....a "weed."  It seeds out & also grows through runners.  I have it in my raspberries & am always pulling it out!

It grows all over Alaska & if you google "Alaska Fireweed Honey" you'll get lots of sources.  It runs about $10 a lb.  Steve Victors is a Palmer beekeeper who owns a business called "Alaska Wildflower Honey."  I believe you can order through him, too.

Good luck!  Flygirl Smiley

~ It's never too late to have a happy childhood ~
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next