Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 25, 2014, 05:50:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does a Strong Queen + old dark nasty comb = Spotty brood pattern?  (Read 1173 times)
Hemlock
Field Bee

« on: April 15, 2010, 04:22:30 PM »

I know a spotty brood pattern is a sign of a failing queen.  My question is whether or not I'm looking at a true spotty pattern.

Yes it looks like one but might the queen be thumbing her nose at the old crappy comb?  a month ago the brood nest had a perfect pattern.  The Top deep box, where the cluster was, was filled with newer comb.  I've since reversed the boxes.  The brood is now mostly in Old stuff. The colony is strong with a good population.  Winter had little affect on them.  The colony last swarmed in June of '09.  

Any opinions?

OLD BLACK COMB
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:33:56 PM by Hemlock » Logged
charmd2
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 04:44:59 PM »

A month ago it had a perfect pattern?   Ok, then my guess would be it has just hatched out and the queen hasn't had a chance to start laying in it again yet, especially since you reversed boxes.   

Charla Hinkle
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 05:00:58 PM »

they don't care about old comb.  why swap brood boxes if all is going well?  if all your brood looks like that i'd change queens.  what does it look like in the bottom box?

did you check closely to make sure she's not laying where bees have hatched out.  it's hard to tell from the pic, but i think i see a couple of eggs and larvae.  you may have pulled that frame right after a hatching and she's gone back and filled in. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Hemlock
Field Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 05:04:29 PM »

The brood nest moved up into the deep with the old comb after the reverse.  That's where the spotty brood is.  The image is not of the former brood cluster in the newer comb.  

The top box of old comb now has 5 frames of brood where a month ago it had none.  The box with the new comb HAD 3 frames of brood a month ago. It still has those 3 but they are depopulating as they hatch out.

There are lots of drones and drone cells in the top box now though.  All of them in tight patterns on the sides.  Yes there is also worker eggs & larva on this frame.

I can not tell if this is due to hatch out.  Perhaps it is.  All I know is that it is not consistent with the previous brood cluster in the former top box.  I just don't know if that's important or not.  
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 05:19:18 PM by Hemlock » Logged
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 08:26:35 PM »

The reversal was a mistake. Now the bees are trying to correct it. Let them alone and in 30 more days you will see s strong brood pattern.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next