Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 24, 2014, 09:43:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Walk away splits - swarmed  (Read 650 times)
msully
New Bee

« on: April 12, 2010, 04:04:05 PM »

I created four nuc's 3 weeks ago using 4 frames of brood and one frame of foundation (walk-away).  I checked after 7 days and found queen cells, so all was good.  I got home from work on day 20 and found a 2-3 lbs swarm.  Day 22 I found another 3 lbs swarm, so it appears I started off with too many frames.  The weather the last week has been very rainy and cool, so I doubt the queens got mated

Anyone here ever see nuc's swarm with vigin queens?

I was planning to check on these nuc on day 28 to see if the queen was laying...

Thanks,

Mike

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffett
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 04:12:47 PM »

hives swarm with virgin queens all the time BUT that seems like to many bees to have come out of your nuc.  did you hive the swarms and were the queens actually virgin queens?  how many bees are left in your nuc?

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 04:30:10 PM »

My guess is the swarms came to your apiary from distant hives. A swarm will go to another apiary quite often.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 09:22:33 PM »

Can you tell if any of your nucs are under populated to see if the swarms did come from your nucs or somewhere else?  Do you think you may have crowded you nucs also with your bees to cause them to swarm?
msully
New Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 11:51:01 AM »

I checked my 3 hives on Wednesday and not a swarm cell or queen cell in sight.  I've popped the tops on the nuc's only briefly (since I'm waiting a few more days to see if the queens are laying) and they didn't seem under populated....

I've considered that these swarms came from somewhere else, but 2 in 3 days seems a little too much.  I've also heard that swarms usually land within sight of the original hive, so I gave that some consideration too.

Honestly I don't know where they came from, I just assumed that they came from my nuc's since I had multiple queen cells in them.  It seemed like a natural conclusion...

Thanks,

Mike

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffett
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next