Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 24, 2014, 08:23:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Virgin Queen  (Read 875 times)
reid36
New Bee

« on: May 21, 2010, 04:50:23 PM »

I was looking at my hives yesterday and also a nuc that had been queenless for over a week because the queen cell that was in there turned out to be empty even though it was sealed.  When I separated the two deep boxes on the larger hive a queen swarm cell split open and a new queen backed out of the cell.  I picked her up and placed her into the queenless nuc.  She was investigated by a couple of bees when she was placed on top of the frame but they did not bother her and she disappeared down onto the comb.  My question is this, do you think that she will survive and be accepted?  I figured I had nothing to lose and it was a gut shot reaction. 

Thanks,
Reid
fish_stix
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 12:16:03 PM »

Nobody can answer this question! Just WAIT and see.
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 12:21:17 PM »

I'd say her chances are pretty good.

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
lotsobees
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 12:22:06 PM »

How did her wings look? Were they well-formed/complete looking?

--John Schwartz
Psalm 119 - "How sweet are Your words to my taste, Sweeter than honey to my mouth!"
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 12:22:17 PM »

there is always an answer.  in this case, the answer is maybe....  evil

if she was mature, she will probably survive the workers.  if she survives the mating flight, you'll have a queen.  

the fact that they didn't go after her is a good sign the they will accept her.  seems that they take to virgin queens more easily.  you'll often have several in a hive and the workers don't care.  

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
reid36
New Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 12:52:08 PM »

Her wings looked good.  Actually she looked really good overall.  I will try to keep you posted.  It would be great if it works.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next