Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 19, 2014, 10:20:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: girls are pitching pollen  (Read 499 times)
bens
New Bee

« on: April 10, 2010, 10:06:30 PM »

I have a hive in my backyard in the city, which didn't make it through the winter.  I put a 3lb package in last week and they seem to be doing great.  But it looks like they are removing pollen from some comb and tossing it out the front.  I observed several pieces laying around the front and watched a bee drag some out this morning and dropped it.  I think its pollen, but not really sure.  Anyone seen this before?
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 10:09:30 PM »

that's a good sign.  it means they are good housekeepers.  the pollen may have a bit of mold, or it's not where they want it.  not to worry.  they will set things up right in no time.  smiley

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Highlandsfreedom
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 10:12:51 PM »

I agree!!  There is a-plenty of pollen out there right now so they might be pollen snobs and only want the fresh stuff?   grin  Its a good thing that they are cleaning house that means they have accepted their new home. 

To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next