I originally was called on this colony about two years ago and it was still part of a tree at the time. The entrance was 12-14 ft off of the ground and the property owner wanted the bees removed. I left her my card and told her to call back if it ever fell down and I would come back after it.
This past January she called back and says that the tree broke and the bees were on the ground so I loaded up a chainsaw and some hardware cloth and went and picked up the gum. I temporarily tied it in an upright position to an apple tree in my yard for the winter. Well they survived the winter unaided and have been booming since the weather broke. They are on the aggressive side so after being stung twice just by walking within 15 or so foot of the colony I decided to relocate them to the back of my shed where they are less likely to bother anybody.
I decided that for now I wanted to experiment with them in the gum so I added a super to the top and we will see how it goes this summer. I may take some honey or starts off of them if the queen decides to move up into the super. It will be an interesting experiment in how resiliant they are now that I have completely changed the orientation of their comb twice in the last few months.