Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 20, 2014, 09:23:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Went fishing  (Read 1613 times)
iddee
Galactic Bee

« on: March 31, 2010, 04:49:18 PM »

Upper 70's and sunny today, so I picked up a dozen crappie minnows and went to the river.

Caught 7 or 8 nice crappie and one white bass.  and... and... and...

a 6 1/2 lb. largemouth bass on a #4 hook and a 2 in. long crappie minnow. About 20 minutes playing it in with 8 lb. test line on a zebco 33 rod and reel.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 07:10:47 PM »

You GO man!!
I'm gonna start fishing in about a week or two for the white bass. Cant wait!...Its an excuse for me to escape from my flesh eating bees!
 I used to tend to the bees practically naked....Now I need a suit of armor just to feed them!
 Nice bass too!...didja eat 'im?
your friend,
john
Hey! if you go for the open water whites in a boat just PM me and let me know...I'll send you a few lures I make!..If the fish are there, you wont find a better lure for catching them!

hankdog1
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 07:43:59 PM »

Darn that's nice so where abouts is this fishing hole at?  lol any pictures?

Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 09:11:01 PM »

Yeah, Johnny, we do a lot of white bass fishing in Badin lake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badin_Lake

A fairly good size pond.

Today tho, I just went down to the local "so called" Deep River. The name Deep River is the only thing deep about it. I caught them in about 3 1/2 feet water. Fillets for supper tonight and froze two packs for later.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 09:25:44 PM »

johnny, I bet if you grab a few of the mean bees and tell the others they get to be fishbait if they don't calm down...
nah,  nevermind.

be happy and make others happy.
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 10:33:40 PM »

Any roe in those specks yet? they're already bedding here. MMMM, nothing better than speck roe and eggs in the morning!

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 10:58:07 PM »

Iddee, this is what Bud and I caught this past Saturday. We went Sunday and tore 'em up as well, fishin' next to cypress trees in 3' of water, some near the shore. They are starting to spawn.

I went to target bass but it was too cold only caught three. Never caught a 6 and 1/2 lb bass before!

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 01:47:59 PM »

Geez, I could only get 2 stocked trout this morning.
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 08:39:08 PM »

Hey Wally! When you catch a White from down deep does the swim bladder pop out of their mouths? Thats what happens when we catch whites in over 40 feet of water at Lake Kemp. once it pops out it wont go bac in....on some saltwater fish tho, you can poke a pointy thing into the side of the fish and they will be able to go back down and survive.

On a bummer note......I soaped that hive this morning that was getting me....I was gonna just move them into the woods but, even after smoking, I was getting TORE UP!!!...I ran into the house with at least 30 to 50 bees hanging in me! I had to put on long pants and my bee suit to go back out....in just a few minutes of walking outside them suckers were ALL OVER ME!!...It was even hard to see thru my face screen there were so many bees on it!
There were lots of survivors even tho they got soapy....I made another box with some brood and eggs from a nice hive and put it in place of the one I terminated...Looks like the soapy bees went back to it, what was left of them( alot!)..I'm assuming I killed the queen....Thats the first time I ever had to kill any bees..it sucked.

your friend,
john

iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 09:39:48 PM »

I've never fished fresh water over 20 feet other than catfish. I don't know what the whites will do at that depth.

As for the bees, my guess is there was no queen to kill, if they were still europeans.
A queenless hive can be merciless.

Being in your area, there's a chance a truck could have released a swarm of africanized without knowing it and they took over.

*Shel Silverstein*
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 10:18:31 PM »

Fishing Season here in Washington doesn't start for another week.  Then the lakes will be so full of boats you can walk across the lake without getting your feet wet.  I live less than a 1/2 mile from a popular fishing lake, I'll be lucky not to have people parking in my yard.  Getting to any of the 8 fishing lakes on this Island I live on will be nearly impossible for the local inhabitants for nearly a month.

In April and May Most of Seattle, Tacoma, Everett, and the other large cities will be mostly empty on the weekends while populations of said cities are afloat on any body of water large enough to hold a boat, kayak, canoe, yacht, or inner tube, in the remainder of the state.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 12:16:03 AM »

Hey Brian!
Do you know a woman by the name of Cynthia King> shes a friend of mine who lives in anacortes....It looks like she lives right up a hill from where the boats pull in...She has a sister named Vickie Marie King who was in that recent movie "Blindside"....Just thot I'd toss that out there!
your friend,
john

Mason
House Bee

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 12:02:01 PM »

Nice catch,

nothing like a big fish on light tackle.  A 6.5 pounder on a crappy rig must have been a battle.  9 in 10 would get into cover and be the proverbial one that got away.  Really nice catch. 

Once at a dock party I was fishing my crappy rig and getting nothing.  I ended up putting a piece of hotdog on the hook and hooked a big carp.  The fight was on!  I must have had 150 yards of line out across the marina and he almost spooled me.  Just an old carp but boy was that ever fun on 4lb test and a catch for the books. 

Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 12:48:17 AM »

the hive I soaped was full of brood and eggs.....Three boxes full!...The way they were built up compared to all the others was kinda a giveaway that something wasnt normal...I think I forgot to mention I put a weak hive with a laying queen and new brood from ma good hive in place where the meanh hive was.....so far, mI went out today and not ma single sting....bumpers, but no stingers!

your friend,
john

Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 01:52:38 AM »

Sorry to make light Johnny, that sounds like a really mean hive.

be happy and make others happy.
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 11:27:03 PM »

Hey Brian!
Do you know a woman by the name of Cynthia King> shes a friend of mine who lives in anacortes....It looks like she lives right up a hill from where the boats pull in...She has a sister named Vickie Marie King who was in that recent movie "Blindside"....Just thot I'd toss that out there!
your friend,
john

Johnny, in Anacortes everybody lives just up the hill from where the boats come in.  We have 2 Oil refinery docks, 3 Ocean freight docks, 6 marinas (at least), and a few private docks, not to mention a dozen boat builders that make everything from 8ft canoes to 400ft Ocean vessels.

As for Cyntha King, neither my wife or I know that name, not saying we haven't run into her from time to time, as that happens with most people in this town.  My wife works in the largest supermarket in town as a check and seems to know just about everybody, and I've run into very few Anacortesians who don't at least know who she is.

We also have alot of professional writers, actors, singers, and athletes who live in town, one more doesn't stand out that much.  They're the ones with the large houses and gated driveways and property.  Burl Ives resided here until his death and his wife, daughter, and granddaughter still do.  Mrs. Ives has been a very big supporter of out local hospital.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next