Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Moldy Hives  (Read 1130 times)

Offline hollybees

  • House Bee
  • **
  • Posts: 177
  • Gender: Male
Moldy Hives
« on: March 28, 2010, 12:09:42 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I opened up the hives after a long winter and found a lot of mold in 2 of the 3 hives I have...some of it black. (all in the northwest corner of the supers)
Their was still lots of capped honey left and it has mold on it.
I probably have 40lbs of it and I don't want it to go to waste of course, so can anyone suggest how to clean it off.

I will just put it in the freezer and save to feed back to them as long as I can be sure it's safe.

Haven't posted for a long while...good to be back!  8-)

Thanks to all
I hope your bees are well,
Paul

Offline Irwin

  • Super Bee
  • *****
  • Posts: 2342
  • Gender: Male
  • howdy all
Re: Moldy Hives
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 12:14:41 PM »
The bees will clean it up you should be fine :-D Don't worry bee happy that you still got bees.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline David LaFerney

  • Field Bee
  • ***
  • Posts: 924
  • Gender: Male
    • The Door Garden
Re: Moldy Hives
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 12:51:07 PM »
I have a little bit of the same thing, and I take it to indicate that there is too much moisture in the hive.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline hollybees

  • House Bee
  • **
  • Posts: 177
  • Gender: Male
Re: Moldy Hives
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 08:12:11 PM »
The mold was pretty bad and the hive's numbers are low it was my strongest hive going into winter.
I pulled off the moldy supers and put them down to one until they get stronger.
Erwin I didn't know the bees would clean it up thanks.
I'm going to brush and scrape off the worst of it and give it back to them later.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline Sparky

  • Field Bee
  • ***
  • Posts: 804
  • Gender: Male
Re: Moldy Hives
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 08:40:09 PM »
Probably a combination of to much moisture and not enough ventilation. Both could have been solved by the additional ventilation. I would freeze the frames first before giving them to the bees to clean off.

 

anything