Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 02, 2014, 01:05:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: treated lumber  (Read 1692 times)
rottybee
New Bee

« on: March 12, 2010, 12:35:15 PM »

I need to make another screen bottom board and am out of scrap lumber except for some treated stuff.  It has been in a shed for a year or more and has dried out and has no noticeable odor.  Since this is not part of a hive body or super, would it be okay to use as a bottom board?
lakeman
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 01:12:55 PM »

I just went through the same scene last week, as I was building me a 5 frame nuc, bottom bd, deep, and medium, with inner cover, and outercover. I had some old 3/4 and 1/2 treated plywood that had been outside in a project for about 6 years (in the sun), which I dismantled. I decided against it as it's use has been discontinued for most use's as a poison danger, and decided not to take a chance of poisoning my bees and/or honey.

I am my own biggest critic!
Ollie
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 10:06:09 PM »

It may not be in the hive as part of the bodies or supers, but every single bee will touch it at some point...

Life is good...Make it gooder!
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 10:18:13 PM »

I wouldn't use it myself, but the treated these days is a bit different than just a few years back. They're no longer allowed to use cyanide (CCA) but now use either a borate solution (not very effective and maybe ok around bees) or a copper napthenate that I wouldn't let anywhere near the girls. You can try to find out which type you have or, better yet, don't use it at all.

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 10:49:49 PM »

I would only use treated lumber for a stand that is on the ground.  I don't want to expose the bees to it.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Ollie
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 10:28:28 AM »

Cedar, Redwood and white oak are good rot resistant woods to use instead.
Also Ipe but very heavy.

Life is good...Make it gooder!
rottybee
New Bee

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 12:08:06 PM »

Thanks for all the info.  I found a piece of 2x6 yellow pine and some scrap 1x4 all non treated and made this in about an hour.  Bottom Board construction
http://www.myoldtools.com/Bees/bottomboard/bottomboard.htm 
Wouldn't have taken that long had I been able to find my wrench to change to a rip blade on my table saw!
Two Bees
Field Bee

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 09:09:08 AM »

Agree with the above posts.  I keep treated lumber out of my hives, regardless of what has been used to "treat" it.

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.
CVBees
House Bee

secondchanceapiary@gmail

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 11:41:49 AM »

Treating wood Beehive boxes 4 rot prevention,insect damage,Beekeepers beehives

Look at this guy.. its unbelievable and I don't mean in a good way.   :'(

CV Bees

Bees are the key to life as we know it.
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 02:08:56 PM »

I bought 2 screened bottoms from the local bee supply, they were made with P.T.  It does bother me a little, but my hive bodies are white pine, and now that I have them I can use them as a pattern and build them out of something else. I am using one of them, and there doesn't seem to be any negative effect.

be happy and make others happy.
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 10:40:12 PM »

The cuprinol is actually sold for treating wood for beehives.  I wouldn't use it, but at least it doesn't contain an insecticide like most treated lumber does.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
doak
Super Bee

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 02:01:40 PM »

Don't want to be a high jacker. But what about treated that has been in the open for 25+ years? :)doak
Titus
House Bee

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 11:16:42 AM »

Dang, I just made a screened bottom board last night and used treated lumber (scrap) for the side pieces.  The landing board is untreated pine though.  Maybe I can paint the treated part.  I'm going to risk this one  drowning
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 12:08:09 PM »

Dang, I just made a screened bottom board last night and used treated lumber (scrap) for the side pieces.  The landing board is untreated pine though.  Maybe I can paint the treated part.  I'm going to risk this one  drowning

Ooo...that's pushing it!!  You might decrease a couple of the bees lifespan by almost a day!!  Seriously, I wouldn't worry about a couple little strips of it in the hive.  The bees will propolise it over soon anyway.  Not that I'd worry about it either way, but I'd guess that the paint is just as bad as the wood is.

Rick

Rick
doak
Super Bee

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 12:20:08 PM »

My Mentor maintains around 300  full colonies. He has 900 nukes already on order. He buys 3/4 inch treated plywood and makes bottom and top boards from this. Doesn't seem to bother his survival rate. Say's he has more bees this year than he has ever had.:)doak
Titus
House Bee

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 02:32:21 PM »

My Mentor maintains around 300  full colonies. He has 900 nukes already on order. He buys 3/4 inch treated plywood and makes bottom and top boards from this. Doesn't seem to bother his survival rate. Say's he has more bees this year than he has ever had.:)doak

Thats great, maybe I'll make another one.  Itching to try out the new stapler anyway. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next