Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Warre Hives  (Read 347 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Field Bee
Warre Hives
« on: February 18, 2017, 05:48:32 PM »
What are the advantages of the Warre Hive? I have been looking into it and if I can catch a swarm I might put it in a Warre Hive. Is this smart or should I stay with the Langstroth?

Offline gww

• Field Bee
Re: Warre Hives
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 06:27:45 PM »
bw
What are the advantages of the Warre Hive?

You ask that like you already think there are advantages of a warre hive. 
Naugh, I'm just razzing you.  I built one.  I don't know if I will ever put bees in it or not.  I did put it out and put some lemon grass oil in it just in case.  I think about the only thing someone might think about a warre hive is that if you only want a hive or two for your garden and atmosphere cause they look cool.  I don't have glass in mine. 

If you use the fixed frame and due to the size differrance, I think most that are really trying to make money from bees find that warres don't fit thier management style and size of other equiptment.  Some will say it is illegal. 

I will just take abby at his word if I decide to put some bees in mine.  I am just playing.
Good luck
gww

Offline sawdstmakr

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 06:42:43 AM »
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline bwallace23350

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 09:20:13 AM »
Thanks. If I did get one I would get one with the glass in it so I could watch it.

Offline little john

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 10:41:19 AM »
Unless you're going to adopt the Warre style of beekeeping (minimal interference, just two inspections a year, etc), I can't really see the point of having one Warre hive amongst an apiary full of Langstroths - because - nothing is interchangeable with any other hive and so there can be no mutual support between them (by the swapping of combs and such-like).

If you already have 8-frame Langstroth boxes, then you can very easily make a 'near-enough' Warre hive by simply adding a quilt box.  Then - you can play with nadiring, and the other Warre oddities to see if that style of beekeeping is for you  (it's about a style of beekeeping, not just about boxes).  Should it then press the right buttons for you, then you could go ahead and made several Warre hives, but without incurring any outlay whilst you're checking it out.
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.site90.com

Offline bwallace23350

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 07:47:45 PM »
Thanks

Offline TheBroodLord

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 05:41:13 AM »
Unless you're going to adopt the Warre style of beekeeping (minimal interference, just two inspections a year, etc), I can't really see the point of having one Warre hive amongst an apiary full of Langstroths - because - nothing is interchangeable with any other hive and so there can be no mutual support between them (by the swapping of combs and such-like).
LJ

Is it actually doable to only inspect twice a year? Warre wrote his book in a very different time period (for bees and humans).

anything