Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 25, 2014, 03:28:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wow there are over 200 people online right now  (Read 880 times)
annette
Galactic Bee

« on: February 23, 2010, 01:00:00 AM »

Just looked at who is on line and can't believe so many people on line so late at night.

Amazing!!!
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 01:23:05 AM »

Annette:

I found a setting in the forum admin panel that I should have tweaked a long time ago - we had previously had it so that only the people in the last 20 minutes were shown as online, which never reflected the true members, visitors and Internet Spiders.

The time is now 200 minutes, showing a better reflective number of visitors and all (at lest over the last 3+ hours) although many sites DO show the people over 24 hours, I think that number will appear astronomical albeit true. I just want to give a better number to show everyone that we do indeed have a lot of people daily, but I don't want to have a list a mile long either.

Note: the names are all members obviously, the large number of guest (I think are unique by IP address) so it does at least let us know who might be around or who we just missed.

So, we've actually had numbers like this, and actually far greater in the visitor department, just to let the members are indeed getting their posts read, both recent and archived.

For the heck of it, I will have a "Active in the last 24 hours" starting tonight, just for the fun of it for 2 days then back to 200 minutes. The members would roughly be the same number you see now, in the 50/60 range, but we'd have a realistic number of guests accounted for - I'm glad you noticed and I think it helps new members to see we are a very active forum, now with over 203 thousand posts and over 80 new members this month, we should show off a little, nothing wrong in taking pride in what we have here Smiley

Thanks for noticing.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 01:35:26 AM by beemaster » Logged

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 05:46:51 PM »

When I clicked on each members name it showed  "green" that they are on line at the moment. So is it true they were all on line together late last night or just in the previous 200 minutes.  Not sure I am understanding this.

Thanks
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 07:38:34 PM »

Annette:

Whenever you refresh or return to the main page, the software shows you all members who had been on the past 24 hours to the minute, including the number of guests.

I won't be keeping it set at 1440 minutes (24 hours) too long, but I do want to collect some statistical info for a little while. To see who is currently on you simply need to click on the "TOP LINE" above all the member names listed - the one that looks something like this:

Users Online: 90 Spiders, 856 Guests, 166 Users (5 Buddies)

It will show you all those online at the time you click on it and what they are doing in the forum, but look at the time they are logged in, this list is compiled according to that clock setting, so it isn't totally accurate, but it does show the TIME members were on from the most recent - it is a tool, but remember the previous setting was 20 minutes, so you may just look at people listed over the last half hour or so.

So you do have an easy way to check and see who is out there "NOW" and still see who has been on over the last 24 hours. I'll readjust the time after I grab some stats, but I think it is valuable to know that in a single days time how many members logged into the forum.

Hope that helps.

Follow us on TWITTER

Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 08:05:03 PM »

It may mess up the numbers, but I typically have about half-a-dozen homepages open all the time in tabs even if I don't look at a site for a day or two.

be happy and make others happy.
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 08:34:29 PM »

Bee Happy:

I guess it could so, although it looks for activity, not just logged on - so it likely would drop anyone from the list after 24 hours if they didn't move about the forum. I'm not looking for a perfect feedback system, but something to show roughly how many people on any average day are logged in or log on the forum.

It is good to see nearly 200 members a day in the forum, I don't know of any other way to see the activity, and seeing how many guests (nearly a thousand) who come in is interesting too.

Thanks for the info, I did think of that, but not too sure how many people always stay logged in and after 24 hours, they'd likely drop from the list if inactive. Thanks.

Follow us on TWITTER

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next