Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tetanus anyone?  (Read 3011 times)

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
Tetanus anyone?
« on: January 29, 2010, 04:11:11 AM »
Just about due for my 10 yearly or so shot and am wondering if you have the same protocol up there?

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
Re: Tetanus anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 05:44:25 AM »
We don't have that protocol here anymore, Mick.  If you sit on a rusty nail or something then you get a needle if you haven't had one within 10 years, or with a "tetanus prone" large wound, within 5 years.  They think that too many vaccinations can cause a hypersensitivity reaction.  You might want to consider a whooping cough booster.  There have been whooping cough outbreaks around here.

Lone

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 01:08:36 AM »
I reckon I had whooping cough a few years ago, whoop whoop after each coughing fit, as I tried to breathe in, an unmistakable sound.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 10:05:23 AM »
I'm well overdue for my tetanus shot.  It's a 10 year thing for us too.  Surprised they haven't mentioned it the last few times I've been in to the doctor.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 11:18:59 AM »
10 years unless you do high risk work.  since i have a little farm, i get mine every 8.  used to get it every 8 in the military, or whenever they lost my shot record.  :(
One could not learn history from architecture any more than one could learn it from books. Statues, inscriptions, memorial stones, the names of streets ? anything that might throw light upon the past had been systematically altered. (1.8.85)

George Orwell  "1984"

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 12:02:37 PM »
I had so many as a kid, I cannot take it anymore. If I get a bad scratch or cut, it heals good with no infection. :)doak

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 01:15:24 PM »
used to get it every 8 in the military, or whenever they lost my shot record.

Luckily I never had mine lost in the 12 years I was in but I do know some who had them lost often.  That can't be good getting the same shots over and over again.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 12:21:51 AM »
I can see you'll be a brave fellow in front of the nurse, Micko - after all, you've had far worse stings  :)

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 03:20:52 AM »
Ah yes, dont mind a bit of DYI surgery. I was 20 years in sports med and first aid, had the highest civilian qualifications available. Once you understand the human body, its just another form of mechanics. Once upon a time before a big night out, we would stuick a bung in the ole forearm, and connect up a saline drip before bed, no hangover if you do that!

Im not as bad as Ranulph Fiennes who cut of the frost bitten stumps of his fingers with a dremel saw, only because the hack saw wasnt doing a very good job.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 11:54:13 PM »
Haven't found anything that a good old fashioned poultus of Turpentine and wood asheds wouldn't cure.  I survived numerous encounters with rusty nails through the soles of bare feet before I ever heard of a Tetanus shot. 
I don't know which was worse, the pain from the large needle they used back then or the smell of the wood ash and deed skin when the poultus was removed.  I do know that the poultus was good at resoling my feet every summer.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!