Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 28, 2014, 02:24:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: why no new vcrs?  (Read 2779 times)
ayyon2157
House Bee

« on: February 14, 2010, 10:40:39 AM »

Hello everyone:

I am trying to buy a new vcr to work with my antenna system.  There are plenty of analog types, which of course require a converter box (which is no longer available) but nothing I can find with a digital tuner.

Some advertise them on the internet, followed by a notation that they are unavailable.  Retail outlets have not heard of such a thing.  I can buy one with NO tuner, but noone can explain what it is for.

It seems to me that there should exist a device which can receive the same signal as my new TV through a splitter, scan the available channels, and work about like the old analog system, whereby I can set a timer and get a recording.  I don't care if it is recorded on tape, cd, or dvd.

Are they going to stop antenna transmission and no manufacturer wants to include this feature?

bill m

William H. Michaels
doak
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 04:06:40 PM »

Guess they are still playing catch up. We went ahead and got the converter boxes for the other house that doesn't have a Dish. I wasn't ready to buy two new T.V.'s. It has a VCR hook up. I also have an old model Emerson VCR hooked to my dish system. Works fine. :)doak
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 05:58:10 PM »

what is a VCR?   evil

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
David LaFerney
Field Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 06:23:36 PM »

what is a VCR?   evil

That kind of sums it up.   Bet you can't find a beta recorder that can process digital on air signals either.  No offense, but VHS is really obsolete.

If you can't get a DVD recorder that can work with digital on air signals - that would/does kinda stink.

On the up side, some of the new blue ray players are internet ready - ready for streams from netflix, hulu, etc...  Not an antenna, but not from the cable company either.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 06:28:44 PM »

so are the game systems.  i stream netflix through my xbox 360.  it's pretty cool.  ethernet from wireless router to xbox 360.  works fine with DSL.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
doak
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 06:41:24 PM »

Kathyp, Video cassette recorder.
Mine is a stone age (VHS)

I do have a DISH DVR, an old type TV.
Just like Bee Keeping, find what works, mix and match. rolleyes shocked :)doak
HAB
HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
Field Bee

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 07:54:07 PM »

Try you local Pawn Shop.  The last time I was in one they had dozens stacked in a corner in back for $15.00 each bee bee bee.
ayyon2157
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 08:54:13 PM »

Hello everyone:  I guess I have my nomenclature or abbreviations wrong.  I am looking for something which can be set to record a program I am not watching, or if the tv is off.  I guess I am looking for a dvr (although I haven't seen this name used) recorder which can be set to record the output of a digital on air signal.   I really don't care if it records onto a CD or DVD disk.  I realize the casette tapes are obsolete.

I suppose the ones advertised with no tuner will only record what the digital tv is set for and turned on.

In our area, digital stations often have a dash and a number to tell them apart (such as 21-3) and the old analog devices with converter boxes cant accept this format. (at least I haven't been able to figure out how)

thanks, ayyon2157

William H. Michaels
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 09:04:25 PM »

TIVO  grin

you'll have to get specs from some tehcie, but i think that's what you are looking for.

Alexis de Tocqueville
David LaFerney
Field Bee

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 10:28:47 PM »

so are the game systems.  i stream netflix through my xbox 360.  it's pretty cool.  ethernet from wireless router to xbox 360.  works fine with DSL.

I heard that if the Comcast+NBC merger goes through (it probably will) Netflix will lose access to a lot of its catalog of older movies. If you want to watch 'em you can get cable.   angry

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.
doak
Super Bee

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 11:29:09 PM »

I Have Dish, so I didn't have to get the converter boxes. I still have the old type T.V.

My Wife has the converter boxes and she cannot record on either C D or VHS. I can.
I under stand what you are looking for but We haven't found it yet.

The DVR came with my dish Package. It will record with the T.V. on or off.
(BUT) I don't think you can re-record off the DVR. I can record to the VHS direct from T.V.

Hope this helps.

When and if anyone finds the machine in discussion, Pleas PM me to. :)doak
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 12:52:08 AM »

I heard that if the Comcast+NBC merger goes through (it probably will) Netflix will lose access to a lot of its catalog of older movies. If you want to watch 'em you can get cable.   

they already have changed the on demand to Starz something.  it actually looks like there are more available.  the selection changes so it's really hard to keep track. 

Alexis de Tocqueville
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 12:02:51 PM »

I heard that if the Comcast+NBC merger goes through (it probably will) Netflix will lose access to a lot of its catalog of older movies. If you want to watch 'em you can get cable.   angry
Funny all the stories of media giants trying to corner shows and movies out of the internet. If the stories are true, the TV industry is woefully lost and has no grasp on the internet. I've been to a few broadcaster sites where you can get one or 2 of their recent shows, none of the cancelled shows; they're leaving mountains of advertising revenue for on demand shows completely untapped - I'd say the networks can rest in peace but sometimes I'd rather say they can rot in  evil.

be happy and make others happy.
KD4MOJ
Field Bee

Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 12:28:36 PM »

Hello everyone:  I guess I have my nomenclature or abbreviations wrong.  I am looking for something which can be set to record a program I am not watching, or if the tv is off.  I guess I am looking for a dvr (although I haven't seen this name used) recorder which can be set to record the output of a digital on air signal.   I really don't care if it records onto a CD or DVD disk.  I realize the casette tapes are obsolete.

I suppose the ones advertised with no tuner will only record what the digital tv is set for and turned on.

In our area, digital stations often have a dash and a number to tell them apart (such as 21-3) and the old analog devices with converter boxes cant accept this format. (at least I haven't been able to figure out how)

With the exception of the "-x" channels, I have windows media to record the primary number i.e. 6 not 6.1

I share the antenna via a splitter, one side to the HD TV and the other side to my digital converter box and windows media center for recording.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ
Sean Kelly
Field Bee

I Pick; Therefore I Grin

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 02:01:04 AM »

I got rid of my VCR cause the colors clashed with my blu-ray.  lol

Sean Kelly

"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13
cidersabuzzin
House Bee

vroom... vroom... but more like phut** phut**!

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 04:31:56 AM »

When and if anyone finds the machine in discussion, Pleas PM me to. :)doak

We have at the moment digital and analogue signals via aerial (antenna?) I record programmes on a Pioneer DVR-433H-S recorder that has a Hard drive/DVD disc recorder. This will transfer recordings from H/Drive to DVD disc or direct to disc or play prerecorded discs DVD&Cd's, it comes complete with a built in tuner for digital stations. I also have a VCR/DVD recorder; a FUNIA HDR-B2735D this can do all that the previous recorder can do plus the built in VCR can play/ transfer tapes to a digital format and record them on the H/Drive or onto DVD discs. It also comes with a built in tuner. I don't know how they will work with 'dish' signals presumably a digital signal is a digital signal ( I hate paying anymore for TV, 20 channels is enough for me,  we have to pay a licence fee of around $150 per year, tight fisted I Know! )
Hope this helps
cider

Whats good for bees is usually good for mankind. Doesn't that mean sharing?
The Ladies could still teach the Borg a thing or two!....and maybe us too, so long as we don't go too far to the left or right and fall off the edge...
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 10:12:09 AM »

ots, but did they make you pay the fee per tv?

we have no more analogue.  their reasoning still confounds me.

Alexis de Tocqueville
cidersabuzzin
House Bee

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2010, 04:41:01 PM »

ots, but did they make you pay the fee per tv?

Analogue due to be phased out in March '10 in Somerset, tv licence is per home (one family) if divided into flats I think each has to have its own licence. You probably know with your background it all goes to the BBC and ITV4 they do marvelous programmes but can spend money like water! the BBC have gone a £1.5b overspent on four buildings. We really only have one satellite broadcaster, Sky TV although a few cable (optical)which you cannot get if you out in a rural area. I dislike the sky tv because the quality of programming is so abysmal if you are not into football (soccer) that is.
cider

The Ladies could still teach the Borg a thing or two!....and maybe us too, so long as we don't go too far to the left or right and fall off the edge...
doak
Super Bee

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 09:54:39 PM »

I have a dish for tv. the dvr came with the system. I have my prehistoric Emerson VHS VCR hooked in. I have 2 tv's hooked in. I can record what I am watching on one and record something else on the other. I can record off the tv to the VCR. It also has a timer you can preset to record something that may be airing at a time when you are not at home or asleep. The TV doesn't have to be on to do so. I have not tried to record on the VCR and DVR at the same time, nor have I tried to record something that is already recorded on the DVR to the VCR.
The TV's are programmed to tune separate channels. I have 250 channels plus local channels.
I do get some interference during a storm,  or loose signal for some time, but plain overcast is no problem. Life is what it is and we can't change some things.

I can not watch video on my computer, Because I got the less expensive package with my dish for the computer, 200 meg's per day. I can stay up and watch videos from 2 am till 7 am.
But I try not to night hawk. Now they tell me there will be DSL in my area in the near future. After I tried for several years and kept getting the run around. Now if I get DSL I will have to wait till my contract is up or pay a penalty, again, that's life. :roll:doak Smiley

I do walk the floor and stomp now and then. shocked
cidersabuzzin
House Bee

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 11:38:39 AM »

One of the reasons over here for phasing out analogue signals is the government can sell off the bandwith to be used for other things, they made £22 billion for the licences for 3G phones, guess who picks up the tab in the end! I'm with you on the reasoning, digital breaks up more, some people will not be able to receive it, eventually we will end up with more 'targeted programming' that will interest half a dozen people. I'm worried that great TV will be dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.
cider

doak
Super Bee

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2010, 09:33:24 PM »

You hit the nail on the head. You will receive what (they) want you to. It is not coming, it is here.
Just a matter of time for completion. shocked :)doak
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2010, 09:55:17 PM »

i did hear someone say that it's a lot easier to gain central control of the digital signal than the analog.  no underground tv it if all goes to he&&.  i think i am beginning to slip into the conspiracy theory camp.  they seem to have been prescient.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next