Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 29, 2014, 03:22:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POSTUM  (Read 1915 times)
doak
Super Bee

« on: January 31, 2010, 01:26:20 PM »

Do the grocery stores in your area still carry POSTUM.
Need it, can't find it. :'(doak
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 03:06:56 PM »

What is it huh

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 03:11:25 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postum

not made anymore.  boy, i have not thought about that stuff in years! 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Burl
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 03:54:54 PM »

Hi Doak ,   Here in Canada the grocery stores sell a product which I believe you may find comparable to Postum  It is called "Caf-Lib" .   This year we had a bumper crop of beets in the garden .  My wife and I decided to try making our own coffee substitute By shredding and roasting it on cookie trays lined with bakers parchment paper at 375 d. F. in the oven  .  To that we added roasted pot barley ( the kind used for adding to soup ), and roasted wheat , all in equal parts .  Everything was roasted till it was coffee brown colored .  Then it was ground 2 handfuls at a time in the blender .   We make it in our automatic drip coffemaker just like we would make regular coffee .  Sure its a lot of work , but its wintertime and my spouse and I enjoy having a project like this that we can do together . Smiley .  We call the beverage "BWEET" .  Susan says to tell you  " We quite like it ! "  It has a pleasant flavor and is soothing to the stomache .  Hope this helps .
  On another note , do you suppose that when Moses came down Mt. Sinai with the stone tablets which contained the 10 commandments and found the Isrealites worshipping a golden idol ;  Do you think maybe that was the first ever recorded need for "de-calf-a-nation"  ?  grin

---Burl---  If your coffee tastes like mud , perhaps it's because it was fresh ground this morning .

Of all the things I've ever been called ;
I do like "Dad" the most .   ---Burl---
doak
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 06:59:44 PM »

Burl, Thanks for the recipe. Is this the regular red beets or the sugar beet. :)doak
kedgel
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 09:03:36 PM »

The sad truth is, they don't make it anymore.  Cry  My wife looked high and low, online, everywhere.  She even contacted Post about it:  don't make it, no plans to start making it again.  We even added our names to a "petition" to get them to make it again, but to no avail.  I heard you can make a substitute by burning toast and scraping it into a cup, but I never tried it.

Kelly

Talent is a dull blade that cuts nothing unless wielded with great force--Pat Travers
Burl
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 01:49:15 AM »

Hey Doak ,   We use good old red garden beets .  I have seen recipes that call for using dandelion roots , but have never tried it .      ---Burl---

Of all the things I've ever been called ;
I do like "Dad" the most .   ---Burl---
treebee
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 01:23:50 PM »

If there not making the postum brand what or who replaced it?  I know that postum was used as a replacement for coffee by the mormon church. Surely there is a comparable brand on the market that is still in use.   Dandy blend sounds just like the ealier posts recipe

Relax, step back, take a deep breath, the finger you save just might be your own!
contactme_11
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 09:29:19 PM »

You can make your own easy
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1630,149185-250198,00.html
kedgel
House Bee

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 12:48:30 AM »

Awesome!  My wife is going to try making it.  I'll give a consumer's report later...

Kelly

Talent is a dull blade that cuts nothing unless wielded with great force--Pat Travers
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 01:07:38 PM »

Anybody tried roasted chickoree root instead of coffee?

Rick
kedgel
House Bee

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 09:18:49 PM »

Anybody tried roasted chickoree root instead of coffee?
:-XBLECH!  Chickory tastes nothing like Postum. Given the choice between boiled chickory root or boiled 2 day old socks, I'd take the dirty socks!  tongue

doak
Super Bee

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 09:41:11 PM »

The nice part is, guess what? I have plenty wild dandelions growing here and there. Another plus is the bloom all year here. Bees take pollen from them when there is nothing else. I'll just make me some beds and gather some seed. The greens are also good for me. Any way you would fix other greens. cool :)doak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next