Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 30, 2014, 01:52:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yay! THey're alive!  (Read 468 times)
Grid
House Bee

« on: February 10, 2010, 01:47:59 PM »

They're alive!  Yay!  Both my hives, all clustered right at the top just under (and on) the inner cover.  I put an empty shallow super on each, laid a sheet of newspaper inside across the back on top of the frames, and poured 4KG of dry sugar each on top for them (spritzed with water to get them going on it), and put a 4% pollen patty on each hive. 

I have read conflicting things about giving the bees pollen patties this time of year. Some say you must do it to either feed the adult bees proper nutrition, or to get them started on raising winter/spring brood to replace the fall population.  Others say DON'T!! You will stimulate brood production, and if a cold snap comes, the brood will either be abandoned and die leaving older bees now depleted of resources spent on raising brood (dead hive), or the bees will not abandon the brood and die along with the brood in a futile attempt at keeping them warm.  Since I know my bees were light on food going into the winter, I gave them the patties.  I'm hoping the lack of nectar will help avoid excessive brood rearing, and apparently the 4% patties are consumed more slowly than patties with a higher pollen content.  So here's hoping.

And they are alive.  Smiley

Grid
lotsobees
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 01:58:11 PM »

Way to go, Grid! If you start feeding them pollen/syrup now, you'll need to keep doing so till nectar/pollen is flowing and watch out for early swarm.

--John Schwartz
Psalm 119 - "How sweet are Your words to my taste, Sweeter than honey to my mouth!"
Grid
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 02:04:37 PM »

Thanks!  What a relief.  Knowing they are alive and have food feels good.  I have plenty of pollen patties, and I will check every 5-7 days and replace until they stop taking them.  Here's hoping the good news continues through the rest of the winter and the spring.  Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next