Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 20, 2014, 12:23:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: snow over enterance  (Read 443 times)
achunter
House Bee

« on: February 10, 2010, 09:38:19 AM »

with all this snow its piling up over the entrances of my hives. I keep going out to clean them off and open them up but is this necessary? will the snow actually suffocate them?
Thanks
alex
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 09:48:58 AM »

I have never heard of a hive actually suffocating.

Even in the deepest of snow, the snow usually melts away, or allows at least a small amount of room for air to move.

Snow is a great insulator. As long as your hives are tilted forwards to allow the melt to run off the hive and not into it, they will do fine.

Most of my hive have a secondary upper hive entrance or at least a screened hole. (Not to be confused with a top entrance) But some do not. In either case, I do not worry about the snow.

Here are some nucs. Note the dead bees in the snow..

Of course, this is before the new 12 inches or more were getting today....  grin

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 09:57:52 AM »

they will fly even in the snow if the temp pops up.  for that reason, i try to keep mine clear.  NO SNOW THIS YEAR for me.  applause

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next