Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 16, 2014, 03:48:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  
Poll
Question: 4way pallet - water.
Answer 1 - 0 (0%)
Answer 2 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4 way pallets question  (Read 621 times)
happybees
New Bee

« on: February 23, 2010, 01:31:06 AM »

I have my hives on 4-way pallets with strips, which create the entrance.  Two hives face the opposite direction of the other two. During the rainy season, a lot of water gathers at the bottom of some hives.
 I guess, the rain gets mostly through the entrance, if the pallet is inclined  or through other cracks. Moisture stimulates the mold growth and is bad for bees. I had a case when bees bearably were able to get out through the entrance, because water was so high.  
I made some holes on bottom boards (pallets), but they got clogged with dirt.
Now, I want to reconstruct the hives to keep the water away. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.    
rdy-b
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 02:04:38 AM »

one thing i notice this year i had to buy extra pallets -the pallets i run dont have any decking between the hives -but the pallets this year had solid plywood deck -rain watter builds on the deck and runs under the beeway strip-so i made weep holes-inside the hive area and the deck between the hives-the weep holes had to be at least 1 inch (how big did you make yours)-so now the mice can get in but mice go where it is dry Smiley so if you have the pallets with the continuos deck  the problem is worse than the pallets with open deck-any way somtimes it is condensation-sometimes rain-but with pallets there are always two hive that the watter runs to- RDY-B
MacfromNS
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 05:41:55 AM »

When I make my bottom boards, I make them to drain out the front so you don't have to lean the hive.Now for the ones you already have, put a piece of 1x1 under the back side.

The most beautiful thing is to see a person smiling.
And even more beautiful is knowing that you are the reason behind it!!!
Mac
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next