Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 24, 2014, 07:48:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CQ CQ QSL?  (Read 4448 times)
KD4MOJ
Field Bee

Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 04:44:48 AM »

brian:

30 meters is digital, CW, PSK, packet etc. Lot of fun on that band.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 02:00:03 PM »

brian:

30 meters is digital, CW, PSK, packet etc. Lot of fun on that band.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

All those transmission types are continuous wave (CW), whether it is done manually (morse code), packet (PSK), RTTY (teletype), or Computer encription (digital) it is still a continuous wave transmission.  At least that's what I was taught 30 years ago in Electronics class. 
Continuous wave is either on or off, which is the basis for morse code, on you get a dit or a dah, off is no emission.  In other forms of continuous wave the data takes the form of the degree of amplitude of either off or on.

BTW, I scored in the mid 90's on my practice tests for the Technician exam and in the mid 80's for the General.  I hope that means that when it comes cruch time for taking the actual tests that I'll pass both. 

As for the Extra license I need to bone up on some of the Theory a little better before I take that exam.  It's a lot easier to pass a test if you understand the context of the questions being asked rather than attempting to memorize the answers to a data bank consisting of hundreds of questions.  Of Course some memorization is inevitable as you aren't allowed to have graph of Frequencies and band allotments in hand during the test.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 11:48:04 PM »

Well, I passed both the Tech and General tests so I have my CSCE tucked away awaiting my actual license and call sign.
Just for fun I googled my name in the QRZ.com FFC list data base and found 2 other Brian Brays, A Brian E. and a Brian J. and since I know of 2 others: Brian F and Brian S, that makes 5 of us.  One was in Jersey, I wonder how far he is from the Beemaster?  Also makes me wonder how may other Brian Brays there are.

I'll post my call sign when I get it.

BTW, just for nastalgia sake I want to try and compile my rat shack with old Heath Kit Ham equipment.  I already have some, I've located my code oscillator and my Osciliscope, and have a few other kits somewhere in all the boxes in the barn.  Found a couple of old home made power supplies that I designed and built myself about 30 years ago, but they still work so I'll add those to the odds and ends for my ham shack.  I also have all the old text books from college but they are a bit out of date as I obtained them prior to the advent of the 286 computer chip that revolutionized the computer industry and really made PC's possible.  The old TTL and Cmos was a little bit on the awkward side when trying to design a "small" computer IC board.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 11:02:14 PM »

Finally, my call sign was finally listed on QRZ.com today:  KF7IMY  Now all I need is a radio.

I have ordered a Yaseu Quad band portable to get me started, but it ain't here yet.

Still leaning towards building my ham shack with old HeathKit equipment, which will take some time to obtain.  In the mean time I'm in need a some base equipment.  Dual Base/mobile will work too.  If you know of anyone who has, or you have, some unused gear laying around let me know via PM with particulars.

Animator
House Bee

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2010, 02:08:08 AM »

Ham radio, like bees will be a lifelong hobby.  My old hw101 is still able to make contacts and I actually made a 10 meter contact from Florida to Japan with a mag mount cb antenna stuck on my outside air conditioner !
73 !
Mike
KD4EMI.
KD4MOJ
Field Bee

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2010, 07:30:50 AM »

Congrads on the call Brian.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2010, 03:39:58 PM »

Great job Brian - my only issue with QRZ is they list your name and address and have portals to other information including license plates, SS#s and more. I don't have person knowledge beyond the address listing, but have heard Hams for years complain about the cross-referencing of other info. Where else do you have your name and address publically placed as at Qr Zed?

I think we may need to try a Beemaster's Ham Gathering someday, we have enough members.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
KD4MOJ
Field Bee

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2010, 08:28:08 AM »

True John... but you have to know the callsign or name to be able to look it up. Pretty much a ham would be looking that stuff up, then again, you can go to the FCC site and get the same info.

Then again... folks can look me up via the county property database search and look up my home info and taxes paid.

I'm afraid these days we can't get away from our info on the net. Oh yeah... you can also see where I am at a given moment! Me and my Suburban...

Hows that for providing too much information??  grin

...DOUG
KD4MOJ
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2010, 02:34:12 AM »

I've been bidding on some shack rigs on ebay but I keep getting out bid.  I have work to do and can't set at the computer for 2 or 3 days, or even the last few hours of an auction, and keeping my bid going.

I did buy a Yaesu 2m/440 handheld with external (mobile) antenna and clip mic/speaker so I can clip it to my collar and comply with out new hands free while driving law that goes into affect June 1.  Now all I have to do is find another ham to help me program in the local repeaters and tones and I'm all set.  I recieved it today and have it charging. I also bought the emergency alkaline battery pack cause you just never know.

I hope to be on the air soon.

ayyon2157
House Bee

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2010, 12:05:58 AM »

Hello Brian:

I recently bought what I thought was a  CB scanner at a garage sale for a buck, and when I got it home and started researching it found it was a "ham radio" scanner.  A nice looking Uniden Bearcat BC 560xlt missing book,brackets and everything else except for the 110/12V adapter. 

Forget about the buck I paid for it, if you want it and reimburse the shipping cost from 4733, I will send it to you.

Have no way of knowing if it works, but it lights up and will static a little on some settings.

ayyon 2157

William H. Michaels
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2010, 01:34:51 AM »

Hello Brian:

I recently bought what I thought was a  CB scanner at a garage sale for a buck, and when I got it home and started researching it found it was a "ham radio" scanner.  a nice looking Uniden Bearcat BC 560xlt missing book,brackets and everything else except for the 110/12V adapter.  

Forget about the buck I paid for it, if you want it and reimburse the shipping cost from 4733, I will send it to you.

Have no way of knowing if it works, but it lights up and will static a little on some settings.

ayyon 2157

Consider it sold, but what confuses me is the 4 digit zip code.  I'll mail you a check for the shipping.

I spent another hour bidding on Heathkit ham gear on Ebay.  I would like to set up my entire ham shack with Heathkit euipment.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next