Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 17, 2014, 03:26:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feeder Questions  (Read 1791 times)
mjdtexan
House Bee

BBQ MASTER

« on: January 13, 2010, 11:54:10 AM »

First, I have already recieved a lot of help and I want to acknowledge that and I want yall to know that I appreciate every single bit of it.

Ok, I've been thinking on how I am going to feed the bees in a Top Bar Hive. I have an idea but I want to throw it at yall first. I was thinking of putting my entrance at one end of the hive. What if I built a covered feeder for the other end? Would this be bad beehavior (<---new word-its mine!) for the bees to travel to the other end of the hive to eat?

I could make it to where I could walk up and take the box off the end and replace the feeder jar when needed. When not needed I could put a little blocker there so that the bees could not wander into the feeder box and possible set up camp.

Good idea? Bad idea? ¿Que?     afro

Wine Maker
Gardener
BBQ Competition Enthusiast
Interested in Hot Peppers
Texas Apiary Inspection Service
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 11:59:56 AM »

You can put the feeder at the other end.  They will most likely find it.  I don't have a feeder for the KTBH, I have a solid bottom and I just pour some syrup on the bottom.  But if I had time, I'd probably build a frame feeder.  With my TTBH, I just use a regular medium depth frame feeder as my hives are the dimensions to take regular medium frames.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
mjdtexan
House Bee

BBQ MASTER

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 01:05:07 PM »

You can put the feeder at the other end.  They will most likely find it.  I don't have a feeder for the KTBH, I have a solid bottom and I just pour some syrup on the bottom.  But if I had time, I'd probably build a frame feeder.  With my TTBH, I just use a regular medium depth frame feeder as my hives are the dimensions to take regular medium frames.

Michael, Thank You so much for your time. I have viewed your site and it is a good source for me. I appreciate that. Here are some images of what I have done. I have decided to sacrafice 4 inches inside the box and put my feeder in there. I am thinking that I can raise the feeders to where the top of the jars sit at the top level so they are easier to grab. That also leaves the possibility of a passage under them that can be used as an entrance. I dunno, I have not nailed any of it (the feeder part) together. I am still trying to do what is best for the bees. I imagine that there will be some trial and error on my part. Yall, however, have done a lot of the learning for us and I apprciate being able to tap into that knowledge. I dont think I can say that enough.

I found out that my Grandfather was a beekeeper yesterday but I never got to know him. Thats to bad for me, I would have liked for that knowledge to have been passed down.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 02:40:00 PM by mjdtexan » Logged

Wine Maker
Gardener
BBQ Competition Enthusiast
Interested in Hot Peppers
Texas Apiary Inspection Service
DavesBees
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 11:13:56 AM »

You can also use the kiss method and just use a baggie feeder.  Cheep, easy, and disposable.

Dave - PM me if you are interseted in natural beekeeping in Hancock County Maine.
http://www.davesbees.com
mtbe
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 11:14:03 AM »

I do the feeding similar to what you are thinking.  I have a 'follower' board (similar to what you have pictured), with a notch cut out at the bottom to fit a boardman feeder (usually placed at the entrance).

I did the baggie method for a while, but it became more difficult once the bees had filled up most of the bars.  So, I just feed from the 'back' of the TBH.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next