Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 02, 2014, 03:10:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally going to day shift  (Read 1031 times)
Sean Kelly
Field Bee

I Pick; Therefore I Grin

« on: January 11, 2010, 12:37:03 PM »

Hey all!

Just wanted to share that after 6 years of graveyard shift, I'm finally joining the land of the living and switching to day shift.  I'm having to give up my weekends off which sucks, but at least I'll get to spend more time with my family, garden, and bees.  My weekends off always seemed really short since I'd get off work sometime Saturday morning, would sleep in until about 2pm Saturday and have just enough time to play with my daughters and have dinnner before they went to bed.  Then I would stay up all night Saturday since I wouldn't be able to sleep and repeat the same thing on Sunday, missing church and half the day.
So now, we're looking for a Lutheran church that has a sunday evening service that we can start going to.  My wife works part time on Mondays which gives me the whole day to play with my daughters.  My best buddies also have mondays off so we can hang out!  Tuesday my wife is off work and no preschool for Gracie, so that's family day!  So it all works out for the best!  Plus I can eat dinner at home after work instead of in the cab of my semi.  lol
I'm also really excited about Mondays since that's the day the Pierce County Beekeeper's Association meets, allowing me get more involved.

Anyways, I had to share this with you guys.  Been really excited.  I start on Wednesday!

Sean Kelly

"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13
charmd2
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 04:32:49 PM »

Sean, it takes about six months to completely adjust to the sunlight again.  No kidding,  I made it from graveyards to day shift this time last year. 

The hardest part for me was my circadian rythyms were psycho from years on nights and I couldn't sleep at night. 

Yippee for you though!!!

Charla Hinkle
cow pollinater
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 09:18:14 PM »

Congradulations!  For about ten years I got out of bed at midnight and worked a nine to ten hour shift seven days a week.  Now I'm leaving the house at three(and going to bed at the same time) and getting a few days off here and there... I'm a completely different person. Wink   I hope your new shift treats you well.  You're gonna unwind in places you didn't know you were tight. grin

If it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger... Or maims you for life.
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 01:34:04 AM »

Im glad for you. I liked night shift, loved knocking off at dawn, best time of the day. It was fun going home to a beer when everyone else was rushing to work.

However, studies have shown that night shift is bad for you. All sorts of problems that contribute the the average 10 years less that night shift workers live compared to the rest of us.
Lone
Queen Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 07:19:20 AM »

That's great news.  I'm a random-shift worker.  What they do is put all our shifts in a hat and draw them out, and if the combination of shifts is good, they put them back in the hat and draw out a dodgy roster! 

Anyway, I'm glad you'll now be able to play the banjo all day and annoy the neighbours instead of playing it all night and annoying them.

Lone
Sean Kelly
Field Bee

I Pick; Therefore I Grin

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 08:47:24 PM »

Thanks guys!

I just completed my first week of day shift today.  It's now my "weekend", thank god!  It's been really weird getting used to sleeping at night and staying away at day, but I'm getting the hang of it.  It's been really nice having dinner with the family at the dinner table.  I do miss the beer and microwave burritos at 6:00am.  lol

Lone, you're right!  I now have more time to actually pick the banjo.  Couldn't do it before cause I was afraid of waking the babies.  smiley

Sean Kelly

"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 11:47:04 PM »

Yay Sean! It will take you awhile to get your body rhythms back to normal but I bet you will feel better and not catch as many colds & stuff.  I was always sick on the night shift and no matter how much sleep I got was always tired, sleep wasn't the same.  You will get to enjoy your long summer evenings where everything is golden, watching the bees come home for the night! Congrats!
Jody

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next