Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 15, 2014, 11:21:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wal-Mart Facts  (Read 2771 times)
Sparky
Field Bee

« on: January 07, 2010, 05:30:18 PM »

Americans spend $36,000,000 at Wal-Mart every hour of every day.

2.  This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!

3. Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1 to St. Patrick's Day (March
17th) than Target sells all year.

4.  Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target + Sears +
Costco + K-Mart combined.

5.  Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people and is the largest private
Employer, and most speak English.

6.  Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the World.

7. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger & Safeway combined, and
keep in mind they did this in only 15 years.

8.  During this same period, 31 Supermarket Chains sought bankruptcy.

9.  Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.

10.  Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the USA of
which 1,906 are Super Centers; this is 1,000 more than it had 5 Years
ago.

11.  This year 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur
At a Wal-Mart store.  (Earth's population is approximately 6.5 Billion.)

12.  90% of all Americans live within 15 miles of a Wal-Mart.

You may think that I am complaining, but I am really laying the ground
work for suggesting that MAYBE we should hire the guys who run Wal-Mart
to fix the economy because the idiots in Washington sure can't do it!

doak
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 06:24:45 PM »

You got my vote._______doak Smiley
vermmy35
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 09:45:40 PM »

I love the idea, then maybe we could get rid of SEIU and Acorn.

Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 06:59:24 AM »

Sadly enough they are growing the size of government at a similar pace. just none of the efficiencies of the Wal Mart model.
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 07:29:16 AM »

Another thing I understand (not validated) is that Walmart does not settle frivolous lawsuits by just paying the party off.  They are will to take every suit filed through court regardless of the cost.  Another great stratagy that is probably cheaper in the long run,  especially in today's litigation happy world we live in.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

David LaFerney
Field Bee

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 09:12:01 AM »

If you still have a successful business it's only because Wal-Mart (or Lowe's - the Wal-Mart of home improvement) has not decided that what you sell is profitable enough to interest them.  Either that or it can't be profitably done half way around the world.  Yet.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 11:20:44 AM »

there are plenty of stores that have aspired to do what they have done, and failed.  wal-mart succeeds for a lot of reason, but none would mater without the business model.

i didn't know or care much about wal-mart until i did Katrina.  not only are they organized and resourceful, but they are very charitable also.  during the many disasters since, i have come to love them.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
fish_stix
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 08:57:52 PM »

I went with a group from our church to help with the Hurricane Andrew disaster years ago. We had a sister church in Homestead that was destroyed but decided to set up a food operation on their grounds. We set up a huge circus tent and the first trucks to show were Wal-mart semis by the dozens. The drivers asked what we needed and radioed back, and the stuff would show up almost immediately. We asked for generators and the next day 2 truckloads of new generators arrived and were passed out, first come first served. The population of Homestead is mostly Central American due to its being a large agricultural area; they don't normally drink sodas but prefer fruit drinks. We told the drivers and for the next 2 weeks that I was down there we received several trucks of assorted fruit juices each day in addition to all the other food stuffs. The only thing we didn't get from Wal-mart was ice but the Nat. Guard and Navy covered us on that end. Now all the Wal-mart detractors have said that they do it because it's a huge tax writeoff, to which I say BS! They do it because they have always been a community oriented company. If they write it off, so what? The same people say Wal-mart doesn't pay their employees enough. I challenge them to go to a store and ask the employees to quit because they're not paid enough. I just wish I had been smart enough to buy Wal-mart stock 20 years ago.
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 09:13:37 PM »

If walmart aint got it....Johnny dont need it!

your friend,
john

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 09:43:28 PM »

If walmart aint got it....Johnny dont need it!

grin  whenever i hit a new disaster, it's the first place i go.  i can get my pillow, blanket, towel, and shampoo...and i'm good to go!  when i leave, i either pass my stuff on, or drop it at a goodwill. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 12:07:21 AM »

4.  Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target + Sears +
Costco + K-Mart combined.

There's a redundency here....Sears and K-Mart are the same company these days.  You can buy and Craftsman product from Sears at any K-Mart.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 08:10:05 AM »

Was there this much outrage over Woolworths when they were thriving as there is over Wal Mart.
Being that Wal Mart is such a large employer,do you think the government would help them financially if they were failing?
fish_stix
House Bee

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 09:18:17 PM »

I think Wal-mart will probably never need government help but the government might need Wal-marts help real soon!
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 01:20:28 PM »

We mostly don't like our wal-marts because even though the local one is in a decent part of town, either the people that visit are trashy and trash the place, or they don't take very good care of the store.  Much nicer stores just as close that don't cost much if any more.  It's Meijer's here.

Rick

Rick
Mairzy_doats
House Bee

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 03:34:19 PM »

We have the same issue here. Well, before I moved.  Smiley The local wal-mart was filthy and you had to check everything before you bought it. Clothes that were noticeably worn and then returned, same with shoes. People would tear open packages of diapers and steal a half dozen and leave the open package. It was much nicer at meijers. After moving to a totally different and more rural area, I now have a meijer and walmart just across the street from each other and I shop at both equally. This wal-mart is typically well stocked and very clean. Only 25 miles from the other one, yet a world of difference.

The only complaint I have with them is the multitude of check out lanes and the scarcity of cashiers. But it seems that way at most stores now.
~mary
ayyon2157
House Bee

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 07:54:20 PM »

I believe Walmart will eventually succome to the same old age diseases that got Sears.. Please remember that Sears was BIG, selling everything from houses to farm tractors, for awhile automobiles, ( remember the "ALLSTATE" which resembled the Henry J?), their own brand of high quality firearms, musical instruments, clothing, tools, and everything except groceries.

After 75 years or so, the management got greedy and were soaking up the profits by paying themselves ever more and doing less and less until the "dime stores" such as Woolworths, Kresges and the like had room to slide in underneath them with a lower paid and more energenic work force and their "day" lasted 40 years or so.

Watch organizations like DOLLAR GENERAL, COSCO, DOLLAR TREE and WALGREENS slide in under Walmart.  As to having a superior business model, it is now the norm for everyone.

Remember the old "fair trade" laws which were designed to prevent near monopolies such as Walmart, Microsoft and the like? They no longer exist. Whether their existence benefited the consumer or not is still argued in economics classes.

Speaking of the merits in old laws, consider that for a very long time milk production was controlled to ensure a steady supply.  "Boom or bust" doesn,t work very well in the dairy industry because of the long time it takes to raise a producing cow. Right now there is a milk surplus, and lots of milk cows are being made into hamburger, and soon there will be a milk shortage.

ayyon 2157

William H. Michaels
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 10:54:33 PM »

Imagine if Walmart were to go UNION!
   Wow!

your friend,
john

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 11:27:04 PM »

it would be the end of them.

Alexis de Tocqueville
cidersabuzzin
House Bee

vroom... vroom... but more like phut** phut**!

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 05:10:17 PM »

Thanks Ayyon2157
Some sense at last! Do you all want them to go down the route of MS and end up screwing everyone? Whats the old saying, absolute power corrupts absolutely.
cider

Whats good for bees is usually good for mankind. Doesn't that mean sharing?
The Ladies could still teach the Borg a thing or two!....and maybe us too, so long as we don't go too far to the left or right and fall off the edge...
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 05:35:24 PM »

it's good that you like his post smiley  sad that much of it is wrong.......... evil

walmart succeeds because they provide product that people want at the price people are willing to pay.  they also provide a good return on investment. this is what a business is supposed to do.  their job is not to pacify greedy unions, or provide for the general health and well being of their employees.  if a business chooses to provide things like health care, as walmart does, it is fine.  they find a benefit in doing so. if they choose not to, they should not be demonized for the choice.

business does not owe the population anything except to be successful and honest in it's business dealings.  they are not social welfare organizations.

Alexis de Tocqueville
ayyon2157
House Bee

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 08:48:25 PM »

Hello Kathyp:
      Not being argumentative at all, and always welcome being  shown the error of some of my beliefs, I would appreciate very much having pointed out exactly what  all is wrong in my post.  I really didn't think I was critiszing WALMART, at and I certainly don't feel any animosity toward them.

thanks

ayyon2157 

William H. Michaels
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 09:27:55 PM »

sorry, that was a little rude of me. 

the stores that you mentioned had gone under, or at least down in market shares, had problems other than greed of owners.  they had management that failed to keep up with changing markets and marketing, failure to control labor costs, failure to jump into expanding markets while over extending in the old ones.  when towns began to put a mall every 10 miles they wanted these stores as anchors, but do you really need a sears, penneys, and wards all in the same mall and every 10 miles?  probably not.  kmart had the same problem and they compounded it by trying to upgrade to super stores in competition with walmart, but without the business sense that allowed walmart to expand.

i don't know that there is an error in your beliefs.  you kind of sounded like you thought walmart would kill itself with corruption, or something.  it might well do that and perhaps someone will come up with a better idea.  you'd almost hope so, or we would seem to be stagnant?

i am not a fan of "fair trade" laws or government intervention in markets.  the government subsidies in agriculture are nuts.  let the market decide what we pay and who survives.  we all end up stronger for it.

Alexis de Tocqueville
cidersabuzzin
House Bee

vroom... vroom... but more like phut** phut**!

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2010, 03:57:04 PM »

The point I was making, to use your obvious dislike of federal government is, in the business world substitute walmart for the federal government. When some thing gets too big that's when the absolute power etc kicks in. A company the size of walmart could cripple local economies, say they found it more profitable to buy only New Zealand wine (very good it is too!) what would that do to Californian wine makers? Very simplistic I know but that's what I mean by something being too big maybe for its own good. I agree they may be undermined by other companies. Woolworth's in the UK ended up in administration, shut the complete chain down  and sold the stores off, they got extremely large and lost their way.

Whats good for bees is usually good for mankind. Doesn't that mean sharing?
The Ladies could still teach the Borg a thing or two!....and maybe us too, so long as we don't go too far to the left or right and fall off the edge...
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next