Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 18, 2014, 07:49:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home invasions  (Read 4627 times)
David LaFerney
Field Bee

« on: January 05, 2010, 01:41:56 PM »

It seems like in the last couple of years there have been a lot of home invasion robberies in our region.  Something you never heard of before.  Most of them are clustered around the city (Nashville) a hundred miles away, but a few days ago a couple of young (white - just for the record) thugs beat the crap out of a couple of seniors in their rural Eagleville TN home - for less than $50.  They walked around a security gate and up a long driveway, knocked on the door and forced their way in.  Pistol whipped the 86 Year old WW2 vet and smacked around his 93 Year old 70 pound wife.

My wife and I live at the end of a long rural driveway.  What do you do?  Maybe I should get a pair of big mean dogs.  Maybe I should start keeping my loaded revolver on top of the clock next to the door.

But dang, I really don't want to live like that - grabbing my gun every time a Jehovah's Witness comes up the drive, and worrying about some body getting bit by the guard dogs. 

Criminals suck, because of the way they effect all of us.  I never used to even lock my garage door.  Now that harmless old man is apt to shoot the meter reader out of being terrorized like that.  It's the way of the world I guess.  Gotta adapt.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.
KD4MOJ
Field Bee

Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 01:49:35 PM »

Around here they are typically drug related... someone knows they have drugs and money and bust the door @ 3am. Happened in my neighborhood! couldn't believe it since all my neighbors are elderly and there is an offshoot road with some duplexes, rental units. that's where it happened....

...DOUG
KD4MOJ
BeeHopper
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 03:13:44 PM »

It seems like in the last couple of years there have been a lot of home invasion robberies in our region.  Something you never heard of before.  Most of them are clustered around the city (Nashville) a hundred miles away, but a few days ago a couple of young (white - just for the record) thugs beat the crap out of a couple of seniors in their rural Eagleville TN home - for less than $50.  They walked around a security gate and up a long driveway, knocked on the door and forced their way in.  Pistol whipped the 86 Year old WW2 vet and smacked around his 93 Year old 70 pound wife.

My wife and I live at the end of a long rural driveway.  What do you do?  Maybe I should get a pair of big mean dogs.  Maybe I should start keeping my loaded revolver on top of the clock next to the door.

But dang, I really don't want to live like that - grabbing my gun every time a Jehovah's Witness comes up the drive, and worrying about some body getting bit by the guard dogs. 

Criminals suck, because of the way they effect all of us.  I never used to even lock my garage door.  Now that harmless old man is apt to shoot the meter reader out of being terrorized like that.  It's the way of the world I guess.  Gotta adapt.

If you do not have a firearm in your home, your're pretty much defenseless no matter where you live.  Sad
David LaFerney
Field Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 04:56:20 PM »

If you do not have a firearm in your home, your're pretty much defenseless no matter where you live.  Sad

Well, I actually have several - just like almost everyone around here does - and so did the old man in the story.  You're pretty much helpless in a case like this unless it's loaded, in your hand, and pointed at the door when you open it.  Like I said - I don't want to live like that - I will if I feel I have to, but I don't want to.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 05:06:14 PM »

don't open the door if you don't know who it is and keep the gun loaded and at hand. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
David LaFerney
Field Bee

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 05:28:31 PM »

don't open the door if you don't know who it is and keep the gun loaded and at hand. 

I understand that's how it's done in some places, and it might come to that here too.  I hope not. Maybe it already has.

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 05:43:38 PM »

preparation is done in the absence of a threat.  when the threat appears, it's to late.

i live in a safe area and rarely have anyone knock on my door.  that doesn't mean that there won't be some kook wandering the woods, or some drunk or high kid that ends up on my street looking for trouble.

i choose not to wait unit "it comes to that".  i will be prepared and then be happy if it never comes to that.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
David LaFerney
Field Bee

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 05:55:58 PM »

preparation is done in the absence of a threat.  when the threat appears, it's to late.

i live in a safe area and rarely have anyone knock on my door.  that doesn't mean that there won't be some kook wandering the woods, or some drunk or high kid that ends up on my street looking for trouble.

i choose not to wait unit "it comes to that".  i will be prepared and then be happy if it never comes to that.

I don't disagree at all.  I just haven't made that same choice - Yet. 

Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 08:00:34 PM »

I have made the choice.  I open carry on my own property and conceal carry else where.  I wear a Taurus 85 38Spl on my built at all times and only put a vest on to conceal it.  I seldom have anyone notice it, even when I wear a hunting knife along side of it.  Pistol, knife (2 or more), and a cane or walking stick means I can respond to any threat with the degree of force warrented and losing control of one weapon doesn't leave me defenseless.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Sparky
Field Bee

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 08:32:12 PM »

It is sad that it has come to this but I believe the time has come to be prepared. I can remember as a kid that all of my relatives and my parents, never locked the doors to their house. If you went to visit, you walk on, in. My Father would leave the keys in the vehicles without giving it a second thought. A few years ago my parents house was broken into by some crack heads that changed their life. THANK GOD they were not home at the time. The crooks were caught and served some small time but the items of real personal value were never found. I put a security system in their house but the invasion that they felt still lingers.
lenape13
Field Bee

We survive together, or not at all!

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 11:40:15 PM »

We keep a few items strategically located around the ol' homestead, a tomahawk here, a buffalo lance there, some more modern attitude realignment tools hither, thither, and yon.  They are out of sight, and out of reach of small children, but readily accessible for we adults.  We rest more comfortably, and so do our neighbors.
BeeHopper
Queen Bee

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 08:06:20 AM »

We keep a few items strategically located around the ol' homestead, a tomahawk here, a buffalo lance there, some more modern attitude realignment tools hither, thither, and yon.  They are out of sight, and out of reach of small children, but readily accessible for we adults.  We rest more comfortably, and so do our neighbors.

evil
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 01:04:39 PM »

If you don't already have a dog, that is always a good thing.  Only one, they don't have to be mean.  A german shepherd for example will just hang around but if somebody come into your house without your approval, well, the intruder probably won't be dead but he'll be laying on the ground with a dog on top of him for a while.  Most of the time most dogs can read you and see if you are nervous or scared, then they will act accordingly.

Even if a dog don't bite, a few barks gives you enough time to be alert and arm yourself if necessary.  And thieves/muggers/scum of the earth will stay away from houses with dogs. Probably the single most effective way to prevent intruders.  I'd do that in a heartbeat in your situation rather than grab for a gun anytime somebody walks up or carry one around the house at all times.

Rick
ayyon2157
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 10:49:43 PM »

Hi everyone:

A few years ago a group of teenagers decided to play "Ninja", cut the telephone wires to a house (this was before widespread use of cellphones) in a secluded area, broke in and proceeded to terrorize the people living there.  Their son who was awaiting his appointment for training to become an Indiana  State Policeman heard the commotion from his bedroom and came out with a 12 gauge shotgun in his hand immediately firing on the one nearest his mother.  The rest left.

He was practically given a medal, certainly not harassed in in any way about it.  I do feel sorry for the kid's parents though.

ayyon 2157

William H. Michaels
doak
Super Bee

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 11:52:32 PM »

I had rather be ready and nothing happens, than something happens and not be ready.
Loaded 24/7 and ready at hand.  :)doak
irerob
House Bee

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 07:44:41 AM »

Same here I have my concealed carry permit and open carry on my property, just in case of critters or vermin of any size. theres also a pistol near most places I park my butt in the house

You don't need a parachute to sky dive.... you do how ever need one to sky dive twice.
 KJ4QMH.
woodchopper
House Bee

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 10:54:24 PM »

Motion detecting lights and a dog will give you a warning to possible danger. A firearm is a worthy investment now with the economy and drug use being the way it is.  I can't believe how much burglaries and home invasions have increased just in the past few years in bedroom communities.   Stock up on ammo now while you still can. Might come in handy when things start getting worse. 

Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 11:56:24 PM »

Motion detecting lights and a dog will give you a warning to possible danger. a firearm is a worthy investment now with the economy and drug use being the way it is.  I can't believe how much burglaries and home invasions have increased just in the past few years in bedroom communities.   Stock up on ammo now while you still can. Might come in handy when things start getting worse. 

Good advise, I'm trying for a minimum of 500 rounds per weapon, since I have multiple weapons in the same calibers that can mean as many as 5000 rounds per caliber.  Reloading equipment is not a bad investment either, you can then make more if you need it. I'm now in the process of insuring that there is at least 2 weapons secreted within each building on my property as well as building a magazine/armory for ammunition storage and manufacture.
My interpretation of the 2nd amendment is that it is impossible to have too many guns or too much ammunition if we are to fullfil our duty as a member of the inactive militia.

Same here I have my concealed carry permit and open carry on my property, just in case of critters or vermin of any size. theres also a pistol near most places I park my butt in the house

Like I posted earlier I open carry on my property to protect me and mine (including livestock) for harm from maurading animals or humans.  I cover it just enough to meet the definition of concealed when I go to town.  I when with my daughter the other day to buy her a new Van to hawl her kinds around in and it wasn't until I had to reach into my pocket to get the car keys to drive home that the salesman (a family friend) noticed I had a pistol hung on my belt.  I had just spen 3 hours with the guy, and if I hadn't have had to move the vest aside to reach into my pocket he would not have noticed it then either.

I had rather be ready and nothing happens, than something happens and not be ready.
Loaded 24/7 and ready at hand.  :)doak

That's true of any insurance policy, and that is exactly what carrying concealed is.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 03:27:50 AM »

Most burglars don't like a dog because they make noise and attract attention. I'm not sure it's the same deal for home invaders.  I'll keep saying it though: Anywhere decent people are required to own Firearms crime takes a plummet. -It takes all the fun out of attacking innocent people if there's a really good chance they're armed.

be happy and make others happy.
David LaFerney
Field Bee

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2010, 03:39:39 PM »

I think I've made my decision.  I'm gonna get a Rottweiler/Mastiff hybrid and one of these:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next