Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 30, 2014, 09:26:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: sad situation  (Read 1313 times)
ayyon2157
House Bee

« on: January 13, 2010, 10:35:41 PM »

Hello everyone:

A situation is taking place here which I would not have believed could take place here in my county at the present time.

For a little background, we are about 50 miles from one of the relatively few regularly conducted horse auctions.  This is in the heart of Amish country, and is the equivalent of a used car auction for the rest of us.  Many of the old, injured, neglected or injured horses end up there and are bought for meat, some for dog food and some for food for people overseas.

There are a few "backwoodsy people" with good pasture land and water who buy some of these horses, give them good care, and resell them after they have recovered their health.  A man who lives a few miles from me was such a person.

There had been a drought of major proportions here last summer, resulting in lots of semi-starved horses going through the auction.  This man had bought hay for his, which the veterinarians claimed was "subquality" as the result of the drought.  He had just acquired some of these starving horses when the county sheriff appeared with a horse van and proceeded to haul them away to the 4-H fairgrounds, where they were boarded for 6 months.  The county officials were amazed at what it cost to keep 37 horses for six months, and the veterinarian charged $10,000 to examine them plus a monthly fee, and people had to be hired to look after them.  Those responsible for maintanence on the 4-H  barns claimed that their facilities were subjected to damage and the county had to repair them.

Anyway, the county claimed that the man had taken good, well fed horses and starved them just because he was mean.  He was found guilty on 37 or so counts of animal cruelty.  Once he discovered that his attorney was working against his best interests, and that he would not be allowed to present witnesses to explain his side of the story, he tried to replace him but the judge refused to let him!

They are talking about sentencing him to 15 years.  The only angle I can figure is that somebody wants his pasture land. Generally the courts here are pretty fair.

That is my take on the situation anyway, and there may be facts of which I may not be aware.

ayyon2157

William H. Michaels
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 11:30:16 PM »

if nothing goes wrong, it takes a couple of thousand a year, per horse, to keep them.  if he was not very rich, or had a lot of land with good pasture, 37 horses would have been quite a burden.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 02:03:59 AM »

The poor bastard if what you say is true.

Makes no sense.

"Here officer is the receipt for these horses I bought the other day" or "Go to the sale yards and ask if I bought em" would seem to end the argument there and then.
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 09:30:38 AM »

if nothing goes wrong, it takes a couple of thousand a year, per horse, to keep them.  if he was not very rich, or had a lot of land with good pasture, 37 horses would have been quite a burden.
Well, it was his burden to bear, if that's what he wanted to do - to run him through the system and put him in jail?  Give me a break.  Someone wants his land.

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
ayyon2157
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 10:15:47 AM »

According to newspaper articles, people from the state had visited him before, and decried how bad some of his horses looked, but then they returned a few weeks or months later and commented about what good condition they were in.  Some of his neighbors must have complained constantly, as the next time the state folks came he asked them if they had a warrant to search his property.  They didn't and apparrently couldn't get one for state level access. He had just gotten the worst looking 10 or so.

Oh yes, one of his crimes was that they found goat bones on his property. (he has a beard, and I wouldn't put it past anyone with a beard having slaughtered and eaten it!)

His horses were hauled away when he wasn't there (he did not live where the horses did)

He had sort of a feedlot for horses, buying and selling them constantly as opportunity presented itself.

Kathy may or may not be surprised about how much hay and pasture we can get out of our prime corn belt land (currently worth $3000-$5000 per acre) without irrigation.  Fertile land too steep to row crop due to erosion considerations logically becomes pasture in many cases.

As Will Rogers used to say "All I know is what I read in the papers".

ayyon 2157

William H. Michaels
ayyon2157
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 12:14:14 PM »

You can GOOGLE "Rick Hill Horses" for newspaper stories.  The story is more well known than I realized.

ayyon2157

William H. Michaels
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 12:32:09 PM »

hate to say it, but he sounds like he was a hoarder.  these folks usually have good intentions, but lack the ability to care for the large number of animals they end up with.  we seem to have our fair share of them here.  they collect everything from rabbits to horses and they always say they do it to save the animals.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 01:47:32 AM »

Not to say this applies to the bloke in question, but its not uncommon here for fringe dwellers to have a lot more stock than they can handle despite their best intentions.

I will google articles.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next