Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 23, 2014, 09:47:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Year long loan of bees  (Read 832 times)
acepestdetective
New Bee

« on: January 02, 2010, 09:41:45 AM »

Hi all.

I'm looking at taking a year out and seeing a bit of the world in April/May and thus looking to loan my bees out for a year or so.

I currently have 4 colonies (winter dependant of course) which are in WBC's. There will be around 2 supers supplied with each hive and I'm just wondering what you would ask for in return for letting someone have the bees?

I would expect the same quantity of colonies back after but just wondering whether to ask for a % of any honey removed for example of if there's a going rate?

Yours, head scratchingly,

Rob.
homer
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 09:56:51 AM »

Personally, I would make sure you give your bees to someone that you trust and that you know will take very good care of them.  If someone is going to take care of your bees for a year for you then I would not ask anything in return.  Just be happy to get back a healthy hive.  Yet I don't think you'll have success getting anyone to take care of them for you if you're going to have that stipulation.  Too many things can happen that could cause a hive to have problems that wouldn't necessarily be at the fault of the care taker.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 10:15:52 AM »

i am with homer.  you are asking someone to babysit your bees.  maybe you should pay them?  smiley

i would pick someone who knew about bees.  also someone who lived in a good place for bees.  other than that...will you expect them to feed for you?  will they get to keep any honey?

if i were the bee-sitter, i would only do it if i were not held responsible for the demise of the hives.  who knows what can happen in a year?

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
acepestdetective
New Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 10:39:42 AM »

Hi all.

After reading your thoughts I may have been a little expectant and getting the bees back in one piece would be more than I could expect.

Will have a word with a few of those in my LAN and a couple of friends I know who will have the time and passion to help out. May leave one colony alone where they are just to see how they get on too and check their survival instincts.

Thanks for your advice. Job done.
manfre
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 11:20:43 AM »

Have you thought about outright selling your hives before your vacation? When you return, you will be guaranteed healthy hives because you can buy new ones.

Backyard Apiary - My adventures in beekeeping.
Brewed By Us - A social site for homebrewers (beer, mead, etc.) to share recipes and brew journals.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next