Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 20, 2014, 09:52:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Snow buildup at entrance  (Read 1178 times)
mtbe
House Bee

« on: December 28, 2009, 11:00:43 AM »

Just got about 6" of snow over the weekend.

Didn't pay attention to the hives due to the holidays. 

I have 3 TBHs that have about 2-4" of snow piled up on the entrance.  I didn't check to see if it was completely blocking the entrance or not.  Do I need to brush the snow off for ventilation? 

These are bottom entrances with 'landing space'  (built before discovering the benefits of top entrances).
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 11:13:43 AM »

i would leave the top closed if they have an exit from the bottom.  if you open both, all you do is suck cold air through the hive.  i don't have TBH, but the chimney effect should be the same with two openings.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 01:06:37 PM »

Snow is warm.  It's 32 F.  When it's -17 outside (as it was a couple of days ago) 32 F is quite a bit warmer.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
bee-nuts
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 03:34:18 PM »

So it is true that ice is 32 degrees all the time and does not get colder?  It does not seem logical.

The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 04:19:43 PM »

ice and snow can be colder than 32 degrees.  what they do, is insulate the hive when they cover it.  they help hold the heat in to some extent, but not completely.  a good size hive will melt the snow off the top.  it's one way to know the hive is alive and the cluster is creating good heat.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 04:26:37 PM »

Snow has air trapped in it and is good insulation.  Ice may be another matter.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next