Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 18, 2014, 09:21:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting Very Frustrated - Trying to Make Votive Candles  (Read 1006 times)
mgmoore7
House Bee

« on: December 20, 2009, 06:36:39 PM »

Got the clean wax part down.  I have the aluminum votive molds with the premade wicks.  http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Metal-15-hr-Votive-Mold/productinfo/544/

My issue is getting them out.  I have tried silicone and tons of it.  Wiping and spraying.  When I do get them out, they are not smooth.  They show where they were stuck to the side at some point. 

What is the trick?

The only thing I can think of that might be throwing it off is the wax I am using.  I am using some darker wax intentionally while trying to figure everything out.   Maybe the lighter (purer) wax would release easier?

I am sure I have waisted at least 20 wicks now.  The wicks are not a real big deal but the time between is getting nuts.  I wanted to have a bunch ready by now for Christmas presents and I have a couple that might be "giftable". 

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 06:52:42 PM »

two things i have found about making candles.  1. is to get them out before they are cool.  it's a trick to get them out when they are not to warm, but are not to cool.  2. is that a lot of blemishes can be corrected with the application of heat.  you can roll them quickly on a hot pan or apply flame to them to smooth them.  use a pan you don't care about, and again, it's a learning process.
when i have used deeper molds, i have dipped them in boiling water for a few seconds and they slip out smoothly and more cleanly.

or, since you are making your own, consider imperfections part of making things at home and by hand.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
mgmoore7
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 08:21:55 PM »

kathyp
You know... after I posted this it dawned on me... like alot of other things we make by hand, store bought usually is our reference point and usually machines and perfectly controlled environments allow production of the "perfect" result every time.  Maybe my expectations are a little too high. 

One thing I have learned is that this is a process that takes attention. 

I will keep trying.  I have a few tests going now.  One in a bathroom paper cup after seeing this in a google search.  Another, I am using olive oil to see if that helps with the release.

Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 08:52:06 PM »

Have you tried putting them in the freezer?  That seems to work for me.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

mgmoore7
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 08:58:44 PM »

Have you tried putting them in the freezer?  That seems to work for me.

I have read that the frig is ok for a little while but the freezer will cause them to crack.  I guess though that yours aren't cracking if you are doing it. 

Beaver Dam
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 09:17:06 PM »

When candles solidify put in warm water to alow metal to release the wax from metal- maybe hair drier.
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 10:34:06 PM »

I've froze many candles, and never had one crack.........  Wink  I could not imagine doing candles without freezing them as I have tried about everything else. And freezing seems the best way.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
mgmoore7
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 07:22:27 AM »

Thanks everyone.  It is getting better.  I have found that turning them upside down after they are solidified and hitting the top of the mold on the edge of the counter and they pop out most of the time.  If not, then I have put them in the freezer and they come out.

Thanks for everyones help.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next