Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 21, 2014, 06:40:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SLAMMED with 24 inches of snow Saturday  (Read 2103 times)
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« on: December 20, 2009, 11:12:59 PM »

Just looking at the posts and unless I missed any, no one mentioned the massive storm we had here over the weekend in the Central to North East - I was stuck at work 2 shifts, somehow made it home for 6 hours and back for the third 8 hour shift in 32 hours.

I have lots of footage to upload on Youtube when I get a chance, but at work on the military base we had some snow drifts 12 ft tall I needed to dig out just to reset boilers - it was a mentally challenging feat to maneuver the snow in our 4 wheel drive pickups where no plows forged a path and physical dealing with getting to the boilers (43 buildings and 47 boilers in all) over an 18 mile trek.

When I finally made it home Saturday night (and most of the snow dumped from 6pm to 11pm coming down at 4 inches an hour) I had to dig my drive way out just to make sure my car was off the road - a law here, no cars parked on the road during snow removal: you do get ticketed and towed.

So after 4 hours sleep, back to work and Sunday Day was worse that Saturday night, because of the drifts mainly.  Now I go back in tomorrow  morning (Monday) and have the luuxury of staying in the plant all day - I even have off both Christmas and New Years this year Smiley

So, did you get the storm, how bad was it and are you still stuck in your yard awaiting the local roads to clear so you can get to the larger ones?

BTW 24 inches PRIOR to OFFICIAL WINTER was a new record here and many places, that is why they now call GLOBAL WARMING "Climate Change" instead, that way, whether it gets hotter or colder, they cover their rears.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
David LaFerney
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 11:27:19 PM »

We got almost an inch last night.  Didn't stick on the streets though.  Mostly gone now.   

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 06:20:28 AM »

Lucky you John.   We were fortunate to have the storm go east of us.   It was forcasted for 6-8"  but we only got about 1/4" banana devil  We still have plenty for a white Christmas though.

Merry Christmas.....

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

KD4MOJ
Field Bee

Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 09:29:03 AM »

Come on down to Florida when you get tired of it John... did get to 32F last night but NO SNOW!  Smiley

...DOUG
KD4MOJ
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 10:51:13 AM »

Yes John

I spoke to my brother who lives in Englishtown, New Jersey and he told me all about the storm. All his kids were home from college with their respective boyfriends and girlfriends. No one could get home Sunday night so they all slept over at his house. (Whew!! exciting night there!! evil evil)

Anyway, we had a terrible snow storm over here 2 weeks ago. Something we never get this way. Got about 1 foot of snow and the electricity went out for 3 days.  Sat in my house alone for 3 days because I could not get out of the house, without electricity.  I went completely crazy and had a meltdown.  (my husband was overseas)
Anyway all well now

Take care
Annette

reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 12:02:24 PM »

We got 18" here, but people south of us got more.  I took some photos and put them up on my Facebook account, anyone can view them via this link.

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 08:48:27 PM »

most of the snow dumped from 6pm to 11pm coming down at 4 inches an hour

John, that's not a snow storm, that's a blizzard.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 09:16:51 PM »

Yep, that's what they called it here, too, a blizzard.  I woke up at 1 am when the storm hit, and it was a complete white-out out there.  It looked the same at 6 am when I got up for the day.  Unbelievable!

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 02:20:51 AM »

We read about the storms in the US that later went on to the Europe and UK. 24 inches of snow, wow thats a lot of snow, I thought it was only 12 inches until now. 4 inches an hour, we just dont get snow like that around here. Ive been to the snow but never seen a real snow storm.
Jim 134
Super Bee

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 05:14:32 AM »

Lucky you John.   We were fortunate to have the storm go east of us.   It was forcasted for 6-8"  but we only got about 1/4" banana devil  We still have plenty for a white Christmas though.

Merry Christmas.....

The storm miss me got about 3/4'' we get about 3 or 4 12" to 24" per year happy to miss this one   lau

Merry Christmas......

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  Smiley

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 05:52:38 PM »

Just a followup - what a weekend and still the Navy Base is digging out, it is amazing the poor operators contractors brought in and broke 2 duice and a half hydrolics and 2 pickup plows. That surely made it forever to get this mess cleaned up.

I'm gonna get that video up I swear, took about 6 small ones to go through, can't show any restricted areas and such.

The snow in the front of the house is stacked up over 4ft high from the plows, only me and another house have our sidewalks cleared, but the driveways are all pretty spotless.

That 4 inches an hour was outrageous but it was spot-on to what the weather stations all forecasted for two days here. I imagine this will be around for weeks and weeks, no warm days are forecasted for a long time.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 06:04:47 PM »

John glad to hear that you are still alive after all that work and the blizzard can't wait to see the video's

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
wetland bee
New Bee

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 07:26:31 PM »

14 inches here. bees had there heads out to day to see the snow

Russ
BeeHopper
Queen Bee

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 08:28:43 AM »

Gloucester County ( southeast of Philadelphia on this side of the creek ) received an average of 20 inches.
The thing that irks me is the poor job of snow removal, most towns are complaining there's not enough funds to do the job, yet GC has $240 million to build a new port along the Delaware River while other ports north and south sit idle, go figure  rolleyes
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next