Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 24, 2014, 04:02:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This big fat Elephant I know is about to give birth, shes big but shes beautiful  (Read 2266 times)
mick
Queen Bee

« on: January 06, 2010, 03:00:10 AM »

NO! She is an Elephant! I wouldnt call a chick an elephant rolleyes

Ok we have this poor disenfranchised Elephant here in the Zoo. Shes preggers and the media has been going nuts for weeks. We have seen her teeth brushed, her baby prep stretching, her lying down, stretching her legs, believe me I know the ins and outs of an Elephant by now!

Dokkoon, is now said to be in the last 72 hours of labor and Ive felt every twitch. She is 16 years old and was born in the golden traingle, her Mate Bong Su went to the wank bank to do the business and the Turkey baster option was deployed. Poor Dokk was surely cheated, they both were come to think of it.

Ole Bong and the rest of the poor herd has had beach balls shoved amoungst it so they get used to the new calf, who will be named in one of those public comps.

They are both Asian Elephants, ole Bong is about 35 I think. I think both are from Thailand. Considering that, its sad Dokkoon didnt at least get to do a lap dance.

Because Dokk didnt get to have a gum boot to get up the duff, thay have been shoving the beach ball between her legs, its supposed to help her not step on the baby when it arrives.

Theres now a swag of Zoo Keepers, vets, doctors, assistants, hangers on, media, cameras camped at the joint 24/7. Its bigger than Ben Hur.

I am TOTALLY against such large animals being kept in captivity. In the 60s and 70s and even the 80s, the same Zoo kept African elephants in concrete cages, I went once. This huge Bull Elephant was just standing there, rocking from side to side and crying. It broke my heart. Look into the eye of a sad Elephant as a kid and you never forget what sad looks like.  They used to have another one that gave rides until it got sick of it and killed a few people.

Nowdays, these comparatively small Elephants are supposedly happier. They have a small herd of them, they get to do the "Elephant walk" around the Zoo each day, play Soccer, have baths and such, but its not good enough IMHO.

The older I get the less I like to see animals kept in Zoos for public display as opposed to saving a species.

I see my dogs go mildly insane before a walk and I wonder if keeping dogs as pets is cruel. Are they telling me that when they get to go for a walk, that is the happiest time in their life? If so, im just being cruel for only taking them for an hour a day. Are we just kidding ourselves that pets or any animal in captivity in happy? Let a bird out of a cage and IME they just fly as far and as fast as they can.

This is the list on injury and death caused by Elephants in Australia, it is by no means complete, it includes other Circus animals that shouldnt be kept either and have gone beserk in Australia but makes for an interesting read. It mentions one incident I know of first hand, involving a lot of turps, so much that the TV film crew that went the next day to interview the blokes was waylaid for 2 days by the afore mentioned turps. Anyway this incident involved a bloke sticking his head into a lions mouth after circus hours for the fun of it "because when we were patting it through the cage the other day it seemed to like it". I kid you not, mad bastards these country boys.

I clearly remember a lot of these events, all true. The one in 98 wasnt the first time for that Elephant. It had a history of being spooked by trains. Circus sets up in the bush usually at showgrounds, = railways. Then footy grounds, flat land, on edge of town = railways.

Anyway, the joint will go nuts when this thing is born and the public will all be scrambling for their Thai phrase books, looking for names like bung ho or dam hang, meaning little girl/boy in Thai to get their name in the paper. Schools will do it, old age homes, ships at sea so nice it makes me wanna puke. grin

OCTOBER 1961 – Strathmore, VIC
      An 18 year old elephant, Topsy, panicked at Bullens Circus and ran onto railway tracks where she was hit by a train and killed.

DECEMBER 1964
      An animal keeper with O’Connells Circus was killed and eaten by 4 lions.

1973 – Perth WA
      a 14 year old boy was severely mauled by a tiger belonging to Sole Brothers’ Circus.

MARCH 1974 – Heidelberg VIC
      Ashton’s elephant Abu, killed her first victim, Douglas Lang-Smith who was a driver/attendant with the circus.

JANUARY 1978 – Prince Alfred Park NSW
      Sole Brothers pony, Rock, was killed when a tree crashed through power lines during a storm.

DECEMBER 1978
      Sole Brothers’ elephant, Lana, knocked out a circus hand before plunging into a creek where she remained for over an hour.

FEBRUARY 1980 – Melbourne VIC
      The Monte Carlo International Circus was prosecuted by the Victorian Ministry for Conservation for failing to confirm to minimum cage sizes.

MAY 1980
      a lion belonging to Lennon Brothers’ Circus attacked and injured a 6 year old girl, despite the ‘precaution’ of having his claws removed when 6 months old.

AUGUST 1980 – Ingham QLD
      Ashtons’ elephant Abu, escaped from the circus and ran into a cane field. Two years later, to the day, she repeated her escapade in the same cane field.

SEPTEMBER 1980 – Near Herbert QLD
      3 Lions and 5 tigers were trapped for 4 hours when their cage overturned on the banks of the Wild River.

DECEMBER 1981
      Sole Brothers’ elephant, Tara fell from a semi trailer, sustaining a gash to the head above the right eye.

AUGUST 1982 – Ingham QLD
      Ashtons’ elephant Abu, escaped from the circus and ran into a cane field. Two years, to the day, that she escaped into the same cane field.

DATE UNKNOWN
      Ashton’s elephant Mother, fell down a disused mine shaft, hurting a molar which subsequently became infected and she died.

DATE UNKNOWN
      Cardie an elephant used by a circus was shot after knocking down her trainer and crushing him against the wall of a truck.

DATE UNKNOWN
      Sole Brothers’ elephants Betty and Jodi have killed a journalist and a spectator respectively.

FEBRUARY 1983
      2 Elephants belonging to Sole Brothers’ Circus were killed in a road accident.

Ashtons’ elephant Abu killed her handler Debbie Wirth by crushing her with her trunk. Debbie was Abu’s second victim.

DATE UNKNOWN
      Sole Brothers’ lion ‘tamer’ Joe Eronis, received 80 stiches after being attacked by a lion. On another occasion, Mr Eronis held a furious lion by the tail when the lion threatened to leap from the cage into the audience.

DATE UNKNOWN
      Australian circus identity Stafford Bullen has, by his own admission, been convicted of cruelty to a monkey whose chain had become embedded in the flesh of the neck.

Worlds Greatest Circus Spectacular fined $4,000 on charges of cruelty relating to cage sizes.

Circus Startime (later Circus Santos) found guilty of failing to conform to cage regulations.

Edgley’s Circus bear ‘trainer’ pleaded guilty to overcrowding.

Sole Brothers convicted of cruelty to a camel. Halter embedded in the flesh of the nose.

Circus Royale proprietor Frank Gasser attacked by a lion. Needed 64 stiches.

DECEMBER 1984- Eltham
      Silvers Circus proprietors convicted of two counts of cruelty to lion cubs. The cubs were unable to walk from malnutrition, calcium deficiency, worms and mange.

Edgley’s Great Moscow Circus on Ice denied RSPCA access when attempting to conduct routine inspection.

JANUARY 1986 – Richmond VIC
      TV cameras witness employee of Perry’s and Bullens Combined Circus throw a monkey at an Animal Liberation representative attempting to inspect the animals.

MARCH 1986 – Melbourne
      Circus Royale refused permission to RSPCA attempting to investigate compliance with the Wildlife Act. VICT RSPCA now has powers to inspect.

MARCH 1986 – Darwin NT
      a camel with the Sole Brothers Circus was attacked by two lions who escaped from their cage. Prior to attacking the camel, the lions turned on their ‘trainer’ who took refuge in a caravan after fending them off with an industrial bin.

SEPTEMBER 1987 – Gunnedah NSW
      Ashton’s elephant Abu killed her third victim, George Littlejohn, who was a horse groom with the circus.

DECEMBER 1987 – Sydney NSW
      The RSPCA ordered Edgley International to provide larger quarters for the Moscow Circus’ brown bears after they were found living in cramped and barren conditions.

DECEMBER 1987 – Sydney NSW
      An animal ‘trainer’ from the Moscow Circus was attacked by a bear used by the circus.

EASTER 1988 – Sydney NSW
      An animal handler from Robert and Alby Perry’s Circus was hospitalised after being mauled by a tiger used by the circus.

AUGUST 1988 – Noosa Heads QLD
      3 Camels with Ashtons’ Circus died after being grazed on a property which had recently been sprayed with a poisonous substance.

FEBRUARY 1989 – Moruya NSW
      Ashtons’ lion keeper, Brett Hall, received 170 stiches after being mauled by a tiger named Moscow, who had been reared by the circus since birth. The tiger escaped from his cage prior to this incident and was eventually recaptured by circus hands using tent poles, cattle prods and a rope tied to his tail.

APRIL 1990 – Melbourne VIC
      The organisers of visiting French Circus Archaos were forced to withdraw a live chicken from use in the show. The chicken made her first appearance in the ring being dragged around by the use of a heavy chain. Later a performer swung from a rope with the chicken’s head in his mouth. Responding to the demand for the act to be dropped from the circus, Mr Pashalito stated “If you make some problem about that, I swear I will kill one chicken for each of the 25 shows we are here for”.

FEBRUARY 1991 – Ararat VIC
      a group of lions belonging to Russells’ Free Circus were released from their cages by an intoxicated man who had been attending a nearby party. Four men including a police officer were mauled before the lions were recaptured.

MARCH 1991
      New South Wales Environment Minister Tim Moore announced that Sole Brothers’ Circus would be refused a permit to import 9 ‘trained’ lions from Papua New Guinea. According to the Minister, “Sole Brothers’ Circus has failed to meet standards required under the Exhibited Animals Protection Act and has been unable to demonstrate that the lions, if imported, would be housed to the standards considered acceptable in New South Wales”.

Jean Perry, a proprietor of Sole Brothers’ Circus wrote to Minister Moore requesting that he overturn the above decision. In her letter, Mrs Perry admitted that the circus’ existing lions “are of an old age…and should have been retired long ago”. Mrs Perry also attempted to mislead the Minister when she claimed in her letter that animal liberation groups “will protest” if a permit to import the animals is refused.

MAY 1991 – Townsville QLD
      a monkey belonging to Sole Brothers’ Circus was trampled to death after falling from the back of a horse and being dragged around the ring for 30 minutes, all in front of a stunned audience. Commenting on the accident, circus owner, Lindsay Sole stated “It’s like a rodeo rider; he takes a chance of being killed”. When it was pointed out that rodeo riders have a choice, Mr Sole added: “It’s an animal isn’t it: what else would it be doing?”

APRIL 26 1997 – Perth WA
      a visitor to Lennon Brothers’ Circus had one finger bitten off and two others injured by a circus tiger when he approached too close to the cage.

JULY 1998 – Helidon QLD
      a macaque monkey owned by an animal ‘trainer’ from the Great Australian Circus, former circus owner Steve Robinson, died after escaping from the cage and spending 5 days at large. The animal crawled into the yard of a private dwelling adjoining Mr Robinsons’ property and died shortly afterwards. The monkey was one of many who had been left for months in their cages on the Helidon property, apparently because they were considered to be redundant. No advice had been issued to residents concerning the monkey’s escape. Mr Robinson was on tour at the time.

AUGUST 5 1998 – Dumolly VIC
      Perry Brothers’ elephant Ginny, fled into nearby bushland after being frightened by a passing train. She was not located and recaptured until the following day.

SEPTEMBER 1999 – Narre Warren
      During a performance one of the elephants used by Ashtons’ Circus, Abu fell toward the audience after being pushed off her pedestal by another elephant, Tanya.
      a young girl is hurt whilst sitting in the audience at the show when Abu, landed on her. She was taken to a medical centre for x rays on her swollen arm.

AUGUST 11 2001- Penrith NSW
      Lennon’s Circus. Lion ‘tamer’ Geoffrey Lennon was attacked by three lions during a performance in Penrith. The attack resulted in severe lacerations to the buttocks requiring surgery. Many children were crying in a severely distressed state after witnessing the attack. The owner of the circus stated that he had no idea why the lions would attack… read story

The source quoted above stops then but incidents didnt. I will leave you to ponder this from 2007.

SHE has entertained millions of circus-goers but Arna the elephant's illustrious career spanning more than 40 years has not been without scandal.

The 50-year-old Asiatic elephant is regularly at the centre of a tug-of-war between her owners and animal activists over her alleged treatment.

But tragedy hit close to home yesterday, with police and WorkCover officers today continuing investigations into the freak death of Arna's handler.

Paramedics said the man died of a heart attack and had suffered a serious back injury. They are now investigating whether Arna had trod on him prior to his death or after.

Seven years ago, Arna's owners were accused of animal cruelty and the matter was taken to court, with the matter later dismissed.

Animal Liberation NSW executive director Mark Pearson said last night he was not surprised the fatal accident had occurred.

Animal Liberation NSW took Arna's owners the Stardust Circus to court for causing distress to Arna, claiming she was left in solitary confinement for five years after her partner Bambi died.

Mr Pearson said Arna was also "traumatised'' after three elephants were brought by Stardust Circus to interact with her and then left her a few hours later in 2000.

"She closely bonded with the elephants and when they took them away she went absolutely crazy,'' Mr Pearson said.

"She was screaming, trumpeting, rampaging, bellowing. It was actually very dangerous.''

Mr Pearson claims elephants are beaten as part of their training to perform in the circus.

"We have these incredible large and powerful wild animals in situations that are foreign to them and totally unnatural,'' Mr Pearson said.

"It's inevitable that there cannot be a guarantee to the community that they are safe from these animals.''

Arna's performance includes her walking around in a circle and then sitting on a stool and holding a large harmonica, which she appears to play for the audience.

"She should be allowed to roam at an open range zoo which can provide her the space and environment where she doesn't have to travel around Australia in beast wagons in ridiculous temperatures,'' Mr Pearson said.

Deaths caused by elephants are rare but they do happen in Australia.

Elephant Abu killed three circus workers in 1974, 1983 and again in 1987.

Mr Pearson said after Abu died, his partner the elephant Gigi was bought by the Stardust Circus and now works with Arna.

Owners of Stardust are the Lennon family, a well-known circus family who are the largest animal circus travelling Australia. They were unavailable for comment last night.

Their show features elephants as well as African lions, monkeys, liberty horses and miniature trick ponies.

In August 2001, lion tamer Geoffrey Lennon was mauled by one of their circus lions, bitten on his back and buttocks.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 03:35:29 AM by mick » Logged
treebee
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 08:10:09 AM »

That's as a disturbing post as I have seen latetly, but I am afraid as with a lot of things in our automatic soicietys. It is far too deeply ingrained into our thought patterns to be changed now and even if we could, what would they do with all the so called tame animals. It just wouldn't due to put them back we've already breed the survival out of them.and they would hang the local who would just eat the meat and use the fur for warmth or shelter."You've come a long way baby"unfortunatly it has been mostly the wrong way. Good morning world.  Now if we could just wake up!  John

Relax, step back, take a deep breath, the finger you save just might be your own!
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 12:56:53 PM »

She is 16 years old and was born in the golden traingle, her Mate Bong Su went to the wank bank to do the business and the Turkey baster option was deployed. Poor Dokk was surely cheated, they both were come to think of it.

Huh...you've never had a sweaty 4 ton male try to climb on top of you, have you?  Me neither (thanks for asking!  grin) but it don't sound so pleasant!.  Not to get too graphic, but we were at the zoo with the kids when there was a male elephant..well...unsheathed, and ...wow... she's saying a word of thanks for that baster, I'm sure.

Ready to go vegetarian?  Cows can do the same things that elephants do.  Chickens don't want to give up their babies. Horses...well anybody ask the horse for permission before breaking it to saddle?

There's a right way and a wrong way to care for animals, and while too often the wrong way is used, i'd guess the right way to be more common.  And even then, anytime you are messing with a 4 ton animal things are bound to happen.  But I don't see why anybody would abuse the animals that their livelihood depends upon.

Rick
Mairzy_doats
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 03:48:21 PM »

Huh...you've never had a sweaty 4 ton male try to climb on top of you, have you?  Me neither (thanks for asking!  grin) but it don't sound so pleasant!.  Not to get too graphic, but we were at the zoo with the kids when there was a male elephant..well...unsheathed, and ...wow... she's saying a word of thanks for that baster, I'm sure.

While I am fully aware of the seriousness of this topic, I just had to mention that I am dying here after that response.  grin I'm also very thankful that we experienced none of that while on our trip to the zoo.  shocked  grin

mary
Geoff
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 08:04:44 PM »

And your not safe outside the zoo or the circus Mick.
http://www.theage.com.au/world/mother-daughter-trampled-to-death-by-elephant-20100107-luqd.html

Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 01:40:00 AM »

Strewth Geoff, they got their moneys worth. Whilst I am of course saddened by such an event, hardly unexpected in Africa. When I was there, everyone was tooled up.

No news of this bloody Elephant here, is 100 herer today and will be 110 on Monday, that orta gets things moving.

There is one particular canary island date palm here, about 30 foot high and 3 metres at the base, biug palm but not huge. When the Circul was camped at Mordi beach they tied an Elephant to it. It spent every chance it got trying to get to the fruit under the canopy. It rubbed the trunk with its tusk, so that it eroded 50% of the trunk. Just a few days short of action I reckon. The scar is still there 30 years later and so it the tree, must be very tough those palms.

I spose I last saw one up the road when the Circus was in town, African elephants in a paddock, I kept going. However as a kid I can remember coming across the Circus on the road in a wagon train, was so exciting seeing all of those exotic animals going past.
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 02:25:47 AM »

We are waiting.
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 06:50:29 PM »

It popped out yesterday, a female 105kg.

Whilst mum was laying comatose, the poor thing was paraded for the media even before it had a suckle.

No doubt getting it used to a miserable life of captivity.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next