Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 30, 2014, 01:58:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swarms and premade frames  (Read 831 times)
orvette1
House Bee

« on: December 16, 2009, 10:42:40 AM »

Several months ago I got a swarm.  The guy who gave it to me had them in an observation hive. They built well there. But when I put them in a regular hive with plastic frames they build like they were in the wild.  They don't fill the frames and they over build in some places.  Any suggestions?
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 11:38:50 AM »

was the foundation plastic?

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
D Coates
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 04:09:19 PM »

If the foundation is plastic make sure they're wax coated (the more the better).  If they still aren't drawing it out properly keep scraping the improperly drawn comb off and have them start again.  The most I've had to do this was twice.  It's usually only on one frame they seem to have an issue with as well.  They seem to get the hint after this and it ends up fine once it's drawn.

Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...
USC Beeman in TN
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 10:40:40 PM »

If the foundation is plastic make sure they're wax coated (the more the better).  If they still aren't drawing it out properly keep scraping the improperly drawn comb off and have them start again.  The most I've had to do this was twice.  It's usually only on one frame they seem to have an issue with as well.  They seem to get the hint after this and it ends up fine once it's drawn.

Agree.  I use plasticell which has a lot of wax coating but if I have time I coat them with wax anyway.  I have also cut this particular plastic foundation in strips to start foundationless frames with good results.

De Colores,
Ken
RayMarler
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 12:35:14 AM »

I have used uncoated plastic. If the bees do it "wrong" (giggle) I just scraped it off and gave it back to them, they'd start over and get it "right". It just takes looking inside every week, which we seem to enjoy doing anyways!

Sitting in the shade, drinking lemon aid.
Enjoying the breeze while counting the bees.
wd
Field Bee

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 01:50:02 AM »

I've looked at that as too much space. Tap the box just right and the frames move. An observation hive keeps the space factor in better order. What I would consider is a divider board to tighten it up some and work the frames with them as they fill it and see what they do.

This next year I'm going to try using a 10 frame hive body with a divider board down the center to turn it into five frames on each side with opposite entrances for two packages with a queen in each then move one when ready.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next