Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 23, 2014, 04:19:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: electronic Christmas  (Read 597 times)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« on: December 14, 2009, 12:52:16 PM »

my family is scattered and Christmas can be a challenge.  this week i was thinking about how much Christmas preparation has changed over the years.

gone are the days of braving the mall, dragging the kids to Santa for a picture, and stressing over getting it all done on time for a magical Christmas morning.  here is a bit of how this weeks preparation has gone.

my grandkids posted their wish list on wal-mart.com.  i dutifully clicked through the list, picking out things with DS, 360, and "requires batteries" in the description.  i hit the pay button, then the ship button, and was done.  my oldest son said money would be good, so i went to paypal and he was done.  my youngest wanted a plane ticket, so i bought him one, sent the itinerary to him via email, and hit paypal again. 

my youngest is headed to Japan, so he's leaving his car in AZ with my oldest.  he had to drive from San Diego the AZ to drop the car.  i followed his progress on facebook as he posted an update each time he stopped.  i got a text message when he arrived.

my grandkids were in a Christmas play at church.  comments about the play were posted on facebook and pictures also.  comments on the pictures were posted by me. 

OMG...the phone rang!  it was my mother.  she did not have the itinerary for my youngest.  he was headed to see his grandparents after AZ and before coming home.  i sent a text message to my youngest. he sent an email from his phone with his itinerary to me.  i forwarded the email to my parents.  in the mean time, my father had posted a request for the itinerary on FB and had already received the info.

this AM i checked FB and found that my youngest had gotten off on his plane ok.  i will probably get a text when he arrives.  when i go pick him up at the end of the week, i will probably get a text as he gets off the plane.  maybe even before he takes off!!
i also found out that my granddaughter is in a spelling bee, and the lights are up on their house.

other than my mother, the only people i have talked to have been the guys on ventrillo.  they were sharing recipes and talking about hard and soft (candy) balls   evil
Sunday, my husband was home and we went to cut the tree.  he wondered why i was grinning like a fool, as we were covered with mud and soaking wet. 

well, he-ll dear, it's Christmas!   grin

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
hankdog1
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 05:20:01 PM »

Were you able to order the groceries for Christmas dinner off the net too?  Hehehe Kathy your gonna get cabin fever if you don't watch out.  Merry Christmas!

Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 07:28:10 PM »

Hopefully the day never comes when convenience completely replaces traditions.I am guilty of pursuing the electronic syndrome too. But on the other hand I am able to share the holidays with a larger group of friends too!
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 08:28:03 PM »

home grocery delivery....pizza?   grin

i agree about tradition.  don't miss the mall one bit!  i do feel a little guilty about the absence of grandmas touch in picking out gifts, but i also remember "the sweater" and would rather order what they want!

it just struck me as funny that almost all that we do, can be done sitting on our backsides in front of the computer, only to stir with UPS knocks with the delivery.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next