Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 01, 2014, 08:20:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: former die hard stihl mans confession  (Read 1523 times)
riverrat
House Bee

« on: December 10, 2009, 09:44:12 AM »

I have sworn by and owned only stihl chainsaws since I was a teenager that was until a friend of mine brought a dolmar out to cut wood his 410 dolmar ran circles around my bigger stihl 390. I took a dolmar 6400 demo unit out which is the same sizes as my 390 and it cooked the stihl. I did some research and discovered that dolmar invented the gas powered chainsaw and started business in germany in january of 1927 stihl made an electric chainsaw first and the company was formed in late 1926 so both companies have been around awhile after running the dolmar I have traded both my stihl 390 and 270 off for a dolmar 7300 and a 5105 since doing this 3 more of my stihl buddies have jumped ship to dolmar has anyone else done this

never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house
John Lee Pettimore
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 09:51:28 AM »

I have sworn by and owned only stihl chainsaws since I was a teenager that was until a friend of mine brought a dolmar out to cut wood his 410 dolmar ran circles around my bigger stihl 390. I took a dolmar 6400 demo unit out which is the same sizes as my 390 and it cooked the stihl. I did some research and discovered that dolmar invented the gas powered chainsaw and started business in germany in january of 1927 stihl made an electric chainsaw first and the company was formed in late 1926 so both companies have been around awhile after running the dolmar I have traded both my stihl 390 and 270 off for a dolmar 7300 and a 5105 since doing this 3 more of my stihl buddies have jumped ship to dolmar has anyone else done this

I'm a Husqvarna man myself.

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams.

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 10:15:39 AM »

i have a husqvarna also and it's probably the best chainsaw i have ever had......+ they make one that is just the right size for a girl, and still gets the job done.   grin

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
indypartridge
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 10:56:14 AM »

I'll take your word on the merits of Dolmar vs. Stihl, but there's one thing I believe is more important, and that's local service. My local hardware sells & services Stihl. If they sold Dolmar (or Husqvarna, or Jonsered), I'd go that way. I like the fact that the guy I see every trip the hardware is going to stand behind the product he sold to me.
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 10:09:35 PM »

I bought a Jonsered in 1987. If it wears out, I might look at the Dolmar, if I can find one. Don't hold your breath, tho, it looks like I am going to wear out first.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
robbo
New Bee

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 05:35:25 AM »

Im a Stihl man, but in the past year I inherited a Husqvarna - Now that little Husky is impressive - The more I use it, the more I am swaying away
treebee
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 06:54:18 AM »

I'm with Indypartridge I get great service from my stihl man and can count on parts being here when I need them and since I run  saws for a paycheck. It's nice to have my buddy the stihl man handy, plus he'll cut me every discount he can and I'm very keen to save the green...Our local car quest has started selling echo saws and is tempting me with a 36" bared model cause he knows I can use it, but I don't know anything about them so I don't think I'll switch any time soon. Have a great day.    John

Relax, step back, take a deep breath, the finger you save just might be your own!
hankdog1
Field Bee

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 02:19:23 PM »

i'm kinda curious if the chain isn't part of the noticed performance.  i have a husqvarna that is getting a skip tooth/ cutter chain whatever you want to call it once i wear out the original safty chain. 

Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 04:07:12 PM »

Fuggedaboutit!  My Poulan rocks!!! grin

rolleyes

Rick
riverrat
House Bee

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 08:10:13 PM »

i'm kinda curious if the chain isn't part of the noticed performance.  i have a husqvarna that is getting a skip tooth/ cutter chain whatever you want to call it once i wear out the original safty chain. 

Running identical carlton skip tooth chains on both the stihl and dolmar except the dolmar is a .050 and the stihl chains are .063 the dolmar runs at a higher rpm which helps. The best thing is we have a dolmar dealer and service center right here in our town of 1000 I had to drive to the next town to get a stihl

never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 02:38:55 AM »

I love chainsaws, all good brands mentioned. We have chainsaw museums here, very cool the beasts they used to make, kinda like motorbike engines with a dirty great blade poking out.

I cut my teeth on Stihls. Nice machines, so simple and easy to maintain. Purr like a kitten when idling and lots of grunt when running grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr tool time!
woodchopper
House Bee

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 10:29:44 AM »

I've got a Stihl 044 I bought new about 10 years ago. I went into the dealership with the intentions of buying a Husky and after comparing the two I bought the Stihl. Since then I've been able to find out what Stihl's strongest point it......reliability. I've got a few friends who still have the use of their backs enough to still cut wood for a living. They've all switched to Stihl's over the last ten years because the professional model Husky's had certain parts in them that wouldn't hold up. Ask a man who cuts wood for a living with a larger Husky if he's ever changed a main seal or a oil pump on his saw and prepare yourself for some course language.
 The availability of aftermarket and OEM parts was another big seller for me. I knew if I ever needed anything I could get it quickly because so many vendors sell Stihl parts. Only thing I've bought in the last ten years or so has been replacement filters, plugs,2 bars, and about 10-12 chains. The thing I love the most and all Stihl owners will know what I'm talking about......always starts on the third pull. grin grin

Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau
treebee
House Bee

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 11:31:56 AM »

The best thing about all my Stilhs is that when I'm deep in a tree or up in my bucket, that saw always goes straight to idle when I get off the throttle and never dies or chocks out on me. It's no fun to pull start in awkward positions...It's a great day for the races. John

Relax, step back, take a deep breath, the finger you save just might be your own!
hankdog1
Field Bee

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 12:14:48 AM »

Well now you've sparked my interest on the Dolmar.  I was gonna get a bigger Husqvarna when i got the extra money.  But now i'm gonna have to compare the two.  I do know that the Husqvarna also runs a higher RPM then the Stihls.  Big reason i picked it that and the fact my buddy had a 20% employee discount at Lowes helped with the selection of my 455 Rancher.  Mine also fires on the 3rd pull not to mention it's nice to have that compression release valve until it fires.  I don't think the smaller saws have it.  I have a parts dealer the next town over too which is nice also nice in the 4 years i've owned it only had to go there once to replace a bar which was my fault.

Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next