Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 17, 2014, 09:34:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some 57 million workers in America say they would join a uni  (Read 2423 times)
BigRog
House Bee

« on: April 20, 2005, 04:46:39 AM »

Some 57 million workers in America say they would join a union tomorrow if they could. Today, a bill was reintroduced in both houses of Congress that would level the playing field for workers trying to form unions. It’s the bipartisan Employee Free Choice Act and it could make a world of difference for working people trying to gain a voice on the job. Please click the following link to urge your members of Congress to support it:

www.unionvoice.org/campaign/Support_EFCA

The bill is being introduced into the 109th Congress by Sens. Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.) and Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) and Reps. George Miller (D-Calif.) and Pete King (R-N.Y.).

The Employee Free Choice Act says when a majority of employees in a workplace decide to form a union, they can do so without the bitter war employers now wage to block them. Every 23 minutes a worker is fired or discriminated against for exercising the basic freedom to decide whether to form a union. On paper, U.S. labor law and international standards give workers the legal right to form unions—but in the real world, employers block that right day after day. So 57 million workers who want the benefits of union membership can’t get them.

Please do your part to restore workers’ freedom to decide for themselves whether to have a union. Send a message now urging your members of Congress to support the Employee Free Choice Act. Click here:

The Employee Free Choice Act is a commonsense approach to restoring workers’ freedom to form unions. It would require employers to recognize the union once a majority of workers signed cards authorizing union representation. It also would provide for mediation and arbitration of first-contract disputes and authorize stronger penalties for employers that violate the legal rights of workers seeking to form unions and negotiate first contracts.

By the time Congress adjourned last year, 38 senators and 210 U.S. representatives had signed on as co-sponsors of the Employee Free Choice Act. That’s a good start, but we need far more supporters to win this fight for working families. Please click the following link to urge your U.S. senators and representative to support this important legislation:

And when you’ve sent your message, please ask your friends and colleagues to send their members of Congress a message as well. Click the link below:

www.unionvoice.org/campaign/Support_EFCA/forward

Thank you for all you do for working families.

In solidarity,

Working Families e-Activist Network, AFL-CIO
April 19, 2005

"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 05:24:19 AM »

Where do they find these millions of people that want to join a union? Not many people around here would, and I think the ones that would are imigrents from the North East.

I a firm believer that a man has a right to start up a business and run that business the way he wants to run it. And if the workers don't like it they have the right to quit and go some place else.

Yes a person has a right to join a union. But  the employer still jas a right to fire any one that doesn't want to work or follow company policies.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
BigRog
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 05:33:40 AM »

I believe in earning my money, but I have worked in unions and without them.
In a union I always got a better deal.
Right now I am a small time handyman, been a contractor and have no desire for the immediate future either to work for someone else or to employ someone.
But I feel that in todays climate with jobs going overseas, a worker needs some protection.

"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 05:58:24 AM »

From the article;

"On paper, U.S. labor law and international standards give workers the legal right to form unions—but in the real world, employers block that right day after day. So 57 million workers who want the benefits of union membership can’t get them."

First of all, how does the employers block people from forming unions?

What are the benefits gained by a union membership?

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

BigRog
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 04:45:49 PM »

Union workers' median weekly earnings:
$760
Nonunion workers' median weekly earnings:
$599
Union wage advantage:
27%

Union women's median weekly earnings:
$696
Nonunion women's median weekly earnings:
$523
Union wage advantage for women:
33%

African American union workers' median weekly earnings:
$665
African American nonunion workers' median weekly earnings:
$491
Union wage advantage for African Americans:
35%

Latino union workers' median weekly earnings:
$632
Latino nonunion workers' median weekly earnings:
$419
Union wage advantage for Latinos:
51%

Asian American union workers' median weekly earnings:
$759
Asian American nonunion workers' median weekly earnings:
$681
Union wage advantage for Asian Americans:
11%

Union workers with guaranteed (defined-benefit) pension:
70%
Nonunion workers with guaranteed (defined-benefit) pension:
16%
Union pension advantage:
54 percentage points

Union workers who get medical care benefits:
89%
Nonunion workers who get medical care benefits:
67%
Union health benefits advantage:
22 percentage points

Union workers who get short-term disability coverage:
67%
Nonunion workers who get short-term disability coverage:
36%
Union disability coverage advantage:
31 percentage points

Union workers who get life insurance coverage:
63%
Nonunion workers who get life insurance coverage:
49%
Union life insurance coverage advantage:
14 percentage points

Sources: U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Earnings, January 2004;
Bureau of Labor Statistics, National Compensation Survey: Employee Benefits in Private Industry, March 2004.
COLUMBIA 101-12

Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 05:10:52 PM »

No wonder the price of stuff keeps going up.

And you didn't answer the first question;

how does the employers block people from forming unions?

Jerry

beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 05:16:10 PM »

As a Federal Employee, we have a Union Rep who ASSISTS US even if we choose to NOT become a Union Member. The support from the Union is Limited because we choose GENERALLY to not join the Union.

Our Beef is NOT with UNIONS, it is with CONTRACTORS who the Federal Government want for ALL MILITARY JOBS rather than a civilian workforce, which I am a member of.

Let's face it, it isn't cheap to keep a civilian employee: health benefits, paid sick and annual leave, pensions, payroll changes, overtime, family leavel annual health physicals, on the job injuries, training, pensions, death benefits, and many other cost issues.

It is MUCH EASIER to have a number of contractors bid on a job, take the lowest (reasonable bid - the law of lowest bidder HAS hanged some) versus hiring a civilian employee that needs to be handled for decades upon decades until retirement.

With the contractor, the GOVERNMENT simple writes a CHECK for payment, holds a BOND against the winner of the bid until the job is finished and then finally pays the contractor in full.

Now... The contractors who bid on Federal Jobs are NOT required to hire UNIONISED EMPLOYEES - they only need to show proof of FAIR WAGES in the JOB TITLE preformed by the contract employee.

As a Federal Employee, I will be the first to say that WE are unable to even compete against a Contractor MOST of the time - we lack the man power after multiple staffing cuts, we lack the equipment which is all out dated machinery and often lack the training - we no longer receive the GUARENTEED 40 hours a year traaining that we once had the benefit of.

The governerment WANTS contrators - because of the aging work force, they could simple wait 2 decades and we'd all be retired or dead. But they would rather spend hundreds of millions of dollare re-evaluating the cost of military facilities every few years.

The BRAC (Base Realignment and Closure list) will be coming out mid May - Navy Lakehurst is a candidate EVENTHOUGH we won the 2004 BEST NAVAL BASE IN THE WORLD AWARD - it seems unlikely the Feds are so stupid to place us on the CUT list after saying NO BASE IS BETTER THAN OURS!!!! But we are talking the Federal Government here and anything is possible.

Then there are the CA Studies which is a Bidding process where Contractors are allowed to offer bids against EVERY department in a military facility - theoretically, if the Contractor's bid seems realist and beats the IN-HOUSE cost, the contractor can take over that department - leaving the whole base intact, but having departments and divisions where NO Federal Employee is involved in the process. In our case, several years ago, 43 mechanics were fired and a contractor took over the Transportation department at our facility. Luckily, some people of wisdom created a checks and balance system and kept a Federal Employee as the OVER-SEER of the work being done and charged.

I'm not a big Union Fan - My father was a Union Negotiator (for the Employees - typically called a shop steward) and he was in wage negotiation in a trailer setup on property for that specific purpose. The employees rolled the trailer with 11 men inside, 4 getting hurt and my father (who was on the side of the employees) received a broken arm.

During the NINE MONTH STRIKE my father was a mason and was able to make a living - the $40 a week the UNION gave Strikers couldn't pay for gas money for the strikers to get back and forth to the job site.

Nope.... I BELIEVE we need an OSHA to oversee safety in all work enviroments, but UNIONS?Huh I think Unions hae helped KILL what little competitive edge the USA has on other countries.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 07:07:45 PM »

Unions had their time and place, but that has long past.  Without radical reform of unions, they are useless.  Unions promote mediocracy.  It's not a matter of how good you perform your job,  its all about who has been there the longest.  A friend of mines father-in-law is a third shift manager at GM.  You know how he measures success?  By how many guys he can keep awake the whole night.  Then you wonder why American automakers can't compete with Japan.

I am proud to work for a company that practices differentiation.  People are measured by relative contribution compared to their peers.  The higher contributors gets a larger portion of the raises and bonuses then the lower contributors.   This gives people an incentive to work hard because they know they will be rewarded.  Not just show up day in and day out waiting for some Joe Schmo to retire so they can move up.

I know some folks that are forced to join a union, pay dues, and then the union takes their money and gives it to a political candidate they don't support.  Whats up with that?  I won't even get into the mob corruption part of unions.

What happen to keeping the government out of your life?

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 07:10:49 PM »

Unions had their time and place, but that has long past.  Without radical reform of unions, they are useless.  Unions promote mediocracy.  It's not a matter of how good you perform your job,  its all about who has been there the longest.  A friend of mines father-in-law is a third shift manager at GM.  You know how he measures success?  By how many guys he can keep awake the whole night.  Then you wonder why American automakers can't compete with Japan.

I am proud to work for a company that practices differentiation.  People are measured by relative contribution compared to their peers.  The higher contributors gets a larger portion of the raises and bonuses then the lower contributors.   This gives people an incentive to work hard because they know they will be rewarded.  Not just show up day in and day out waiting for some Joe Schmo to retire so they can move up.

I know some folks that are forced to join a union, pay dues, and then the union takes their money and gives it to a political candidate they don't support.  Whats up with that?  I won't even get into the mob corruption part of unions.

What happen to keeping the government out of your life?

Quote from: Jerrymac
Where do they find these millions of people that want to join a union? Not many people around here would, and I think the ones that would are imigrents from the North East.

Hey easy on the NorthEast there Jerry wink

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 08:06:16 PM »

You know us southerners got to pick on ya.  cheesy

I know what you are talking about  Robo. I started this one job back about 1990. Was hired to drive a cement truck. There were days When the work would slack off and I'd get bored sitting around with the rest of the drivers. So I would go out and find something that needed to be done. With in six weeks I was making as much as guys that had been there fo 17 years. After three months I was told not to even breath to them what I was making, I was way above them on the pay scale. Didn't need no union to tell me what my job was, or wasn't. I worked for somebody that was paying me to be there and doing things for his company.

But if I understand it correctly, as a member of a union I would have only been able to drive a cement truck and not mess around helping out fellow workers doing other things. I did machanic work. Maintained the bins and belts. Unloaded box cars. chopped weeds and picked up trash.

Jerry

lively Bee's
House Bee

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2005, 02:54:17 PM »

A lot of people like unions but after they voted 7 year away from my father and his group in the 1987 DOE contract.  It has left a very bad taste in my mouth.  I have also been burnt by a local union.  They voted the mechanics group out of the union and left us with no were to turn.  So I will never join another union.  By the time you pay all the union dues you do not make any more money.
Rabbitdog
House Bee

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 02:38:21 PM »

Imagine how hard it would be to find a pound of honey if bees went UNION!!!!!!

"Born Po, Die Po" ........ just need to feed myself in between!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next