Well, I robbed the ferals yesterday. Had a bit of a drama though. They hive was sitting on top of a table and after we had a bit of rain last week the legs had started to sink. One side more than the other. A bit of frantic work trying to right the table and put some wood under the legs. Lift up one side, the other side drops and me with the only bee suit in the house.
Got that sorted but it took a while and the occupants were getting edgey. One got me through the suit on my sholder. My vision was a bit impaired as I was sweating like a Queenslander
in the struggle and a lot of it was running into my eyes.
Even with the smoke they were not happy with me robbing them of 5 frames. One of them followed me to the other side of the house and got me on my arm, again through the suit. I didn't take any out off the Italians as they were added later and they had not filled up the honey super. I did see that they are using it for some brood too in the lower 3rd. Next time I open them up I'm thinking of putting an excluder on.
Well I got about 10 litres out of my 5 frames and the tin lids both took honey sandwiches to school for lunch. They were very happy with the output.
I ended up hiring an extracter for the weekend. Plastic and well worn.